Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a carbide insert index sticky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a carbide insert index sticky?

I see all the carbide insert abbreviations and I can't keep track of all of them.
    Can we get a favorite thread sticky that lists them with explanations of their uses?
    Or is it already there and I don't know where to look?

Everything you need is here: http://www.carbidedepot.com/resources.aspx

Comment

That's like someone asking what IC to use for some electronics circuit and being given a databook. The book has 30 different ICs that do what you want but nearly everyone uses 1 or 2, and there's a reason they pick 2 over 1 (or not). If you start with the book, you waste hours only to pick an IC and find out nobody has them in stock. It's backwards. References like that are great if you've got one in your hand and actually know the part number. When going the other way, trying to decide what to buy, what the OP wants makes a whole lot of sense. This is especially true with these carbide inserts as technology progresses. What was true one day can be replaced with new. An ongoing thread would be really good for that.

Most people here probably use a handful of insert styles, each for a particular reason. Having posts that list them, why they chose to buy them, where they got them, what holders they fit in, and what they use them for, would be a fantastic resource. And, it would evolve over time.

Then, armed with a code that is highly recommended for a particular task, someone could go to carbidedepot, look it up, and get some details.

Sorry I can't contribute useful information to it... my handful are all mystery inserts that I avoid using because I usually bust them up doing something stupid before I find out if they work. But, I certainly would like to read about what other people find useful, and why. Doesn't have to be a sticky thread... just active enough to make it onto the favorite threads post.

David...
      http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman View Post
        Everything you need is here: http://www.carbidedepot.com/resources.aspx
        I was about to post a similar question but found this resource. Its a great start. Printed off the tables yesterday.

Comment

I have inserts I've been using but have no idea if I know what the 'code' is for them. That's a search, in the shop, I need to do 'cause there's couple of types I need more of. Or a different type to fit that holder...

Those big insert table don't help with this too much...

Pete
          1973 SB 10K .
          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
            I have inserts I've been using but have no idea if I know what the 'code' is for them. That's a search, in the shop, I need to do 'cause there's couple of types I need more of. Or a different type to fit that holder...

Those big insert table don't help with this too much...

Pete
            Maybe that landing page was a bit too general, this "super secret decoder ring" page should be exactly what you need to identify those in hand.

Comment

I've seen that chart before, and I don't know just how it applies to a set of inserts I bought from Enco last year:
              https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/pr...dAs=TT222TCN55

They are described as TT222 TCN55 grade carbide. So the first "T" is triangle, and the second "T" seems to be single-sided with a 40-60 degree C/S hole. Then the 222 would be 1/4" overall, 1/8" thick, and 1/32" radius tip. Here is a picture of it on my lathe:

I could not find the exact TCN-55 carbide designation in the following, although there is TiCN coating:

http://www.innovativetoolsales.com/K...des_p11-32.pdf

And I found TiN-55 in the following:

http://www.usacarbide.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2003

I did find TCN55 in the following, and it seems to be tough rather than hard, and OK for steel and SS. It also shows a grade TNC55:

http://www.cets.com/resources/carbide_grade_crossover/
              Last edited by PStechPaul; 12-27-2016, 07:03 PM.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by rubes View Post
                Maybe that landing page was a bit too general, this "super secret decoder ring" page should be exactly what you need to identify those in hand.
                Jackpot!! Ding ding give the man a ceegaarrrr....

Thanks!!

Pete
                1973 SB 10K .
                BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by rubes View Post
                  That's what I posted originally, but then deleted and posted the page before it to capture the links to the holder ID page as well. If folks don't want to read a bit to see what they're looking at with inserts/holders, a sticky here isn't going to help them much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman View Post
                    That's what I posted originally, but then deleted and posted the page before it to capture the links to the holder ID page as well. If folks don't want to read a bit to see what they're looking at with inserts/holders, a sticky here isn't going to help them much anyway.

I must confess I did not see the links you mention....

I'll go back and look again.

Thanks,
                    Pete
                    1973 SB 10K .
                    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                      I've seen that chart before, and I don't know just how it applies to a set of inserts I bought from Enco last year:
                      [

They are described as TT222 TCN55 grade carbide. So the first "T" is triangle, and the second "T" seems to be single-sided with a 40-60 degree C/S hole. Then the 222 would be 1/4" overall, 1/8" thick, and 1/32" radius tip. Here is a picture of it on my lathe:
                      The TT is a short hand for a triangular instert that they don't generally use with other types. I read it as T<unspecified><Unspecified>T222. That would match a TNMT222 insert as well as a TPGT222 insert.

There is no single "best" insert without taking into account the material, the type of cut and the lathe's power/rigidity. Just like with HSS, a roughing cut with a carbide insert can use a different geometry than a finishing cut.

I use xCMx (7 degree clearance, usually molded edge) for most of my inserts when roughing steel. I us xPGx (11 degree, ground or honed edges) when working aluminum. I have triangular, diamond and a few other shapes, but my small lathe was set up for almost exclusively triangular inserts for years and years.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                        I must confess I did not see the links you mention....

I'll go back and look again.

Thanks,
                        Pete
                        Right at the top, Pete.

Comment

Yep, if had been a snake....

Pete
                          1973 SB 10K .
                          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Working...
                          X