Machining Nostalgia: One Of My First Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining Nostalgia: One Of My First Projects

While organizing my shop I came across one of my first projects. My interest in machining began in my teen years along with other interests, like photography. This was inspired by a desire for a way to tilt my 35mm cameras sideways for vertical format pictures. I made it over 50 years ago.

I made it using my first machine, a Unimat. I didn't have a knurling tool so the large knurled screw head was made with the dividing attachment. I cut the Vees at a bit of an angle so it would be easier to loosen it than tighten. You may notice that the base block, which is about 1" x 1" x 3/4" is made up from a stack of three 1/4" thick pieces. I wasn't aware of the various sources for stock metal back then so I improvised with what I had.

When I came across it, I remembered that the eight 6-32 CS head screws had to have their head diameter reduced and there was some rust on them from the years of exposure with no protection. So I took a bit of time tonight to clean them up and blue the heads. I hope they last another 20 years or so. I also cleaned it up a bit.

Here it is in action.

And tilted for vertical shots:

It is still just as handy now, with digital cameras as it was with the 35mm film cameras. And it may be inspiring me for another photography related project.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 12-28-2016, 04:02 AM.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Nice job! I have a Unimat I keep in the house to hollow point ammo. I have it on a hospital rolling tray.

Comment

Working...
    X