Threading on a Victor 1640B Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading on a Victor 1640B Lathe

I have a question about threading on a Victor lathe. I've used this lathe for a number of years but never mastered the threading mechanism. Especially I do not know what the Open/Close dial in this photo does or how to engage it. I've tried many combinations of settings to no avail. Is anyone familiar with this and can give some instruction? I'd be very grateful.

I am in the same boat as you. I have threaded on it before, but I seem to have to "figure it out" each time I do. The open/close seems to engage/disengage the leadscrew. I always leave it closed- the leadscrew will not move anyway, unless you have the other levers set to threading. Are you saying that you can't get it to move to either position? Mine moves freely. It is really a screwy setup.
    Do you have a manual?
    Last edited by polaraligned; 12-28-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

It does move but...

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
      I am in the same boat as you. I have threaded on it before, but I seem to have to "figure it out" each time I do. The open/close seems to engage/disengage the leadscrew. I always leave it closed- the leadscrew will not move anyway, unless you have the other levers set to threading. Are you saying that you can't get it to move to either position? Mine moves freely. It is really a screwy setup.
      Do you have a manual?
      I have also threaded with it but must have been an accident as I cannot get the travel speed to match the thread.meverything moves ok but the open/close thingie does not seem to have any effect whatsoever. No manual. There is a parts manual of sorts.

Comment

Reminds me of the JET lathes @ the high school. The open/close might be an engage/disengage lever to allow selection of 1-9 on the dial for leadscrew movement and thread selection. A-B & C-D are additional choices. Can't see all the designations, but the W-? might select between leadscrew & carriage feed operations. Threaded leadscrew should be used for threading. Other feed drive for general turning and such.
        First find which setting turns which feed rod and work from the charts for specific threads and feeds.
        It's a PIA to figure it out in the beginning but you should be able to cut ANY thread on the chart.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

Yeah, as Jim said, you can't change the 1-9 settings without opening the lever. If you can't open the lever and change the dial, then close the lever properly, there may be a problem with it. When my lever is open, the leadscrew is not engaged. They still sell this model so parts should not be a problem, though I have heard that they really charge you a premium for parts. It might be something simple.

Do you have the feed change gears?

Here are the pertinent pages from the manual. And yeah, the lever numbers in the example settings don't match the numbers in the diagram. It is a very nice, accurate and well built piece of iron. The shortcomings are the documentation and the electrical wiring, which had a lot of labeling errors in mine. These manual pages should make it clear as mud.

Last edited by polaraligned; 12-28-2016, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Abom79 has a Victor Lathe, Google Him watch a few of His video's and maybe learn there, or Email Him.
            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Thanks everyone! There is always good information on this forum. I checked into Abom79. He has some nice videos. Already learned some important tips from him. I recommend his videos if you have questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjO...5FMU1AsJyoX_u3
              Thank you for the scans. The one scan identifying the levers, etc. is something I've been looking for. I have not found a manual and even though I bought the lathe new there was no included manual. I see I have some home work to bone up on all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by dalesvp View Post
                I cannot get the travel speed to match the thread.meverything moves ok but the open/close thingie does not seem to have any effect whatsoever.
                Maybe a silly question, but when you are threading are you using the half nut (engages the lead screw) rather than the carriage feed handle?

By the "open close thingie" not working, do you mean the lead screw is not rotating even when you have all the dials set to a threading position?

Comment

The half-nut lever engages ok. The Open/Close dial with its 9 numbers. It does not change feed rate if indeed that is what it is supposed to do. I'll study the materials submitted above hopefully to decipher what engages the Open/Close thingie/dial.

Comment

The open/close lever on my 1660B allows me to change the 1-9 speeds while my spindle is running, and the feed rod or leadscrew is engaged and turning. These are the only speed ranges that can be changed while the lathe is running, hence, it is called "quick change".

If you cannot open and close the lever- to engage or disengage the feed box, or change the 1 to 9 speed settings, then you have a problem inside your feed gear box.

You will never be able to cut threads unless you are able to adjust the 1-9 dial for the proper feed rate for a given thread.

I can scan the feed gearbox blowup diagram if you need it. It should unbolt from the lathe as one unit.

Comment

Great forum!
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                      X