Help with kayak rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with kayak rack

I have a kayak that I suspend by a sling and ropes. It weighs about 35kg.I normally drive under it and drop it on top of my vehicles roof racks.
    My new vehicle is high to do this and I need to change the design.
    I would like to have made a simple system where I have a vertical slide that holds a simple bracket. If I had two of these I could manually pull each side up one by one untill I am at the desired height.This could be controlled by pull out pins or even a ratchet type system.or even by rope.
    This is where I feel inferior as I cant draw and cant visualize. I hope maybe someone knows of an existing system . I was thinking of maybe a rectangular tube and ball bearings but it may be overkill.Or if I had a long length of flat bar laser cut with a tooth system.

Not getting why the sling and ropes still wont work - are you using pulleys? your only limiting factor for how high you lift is the height of the ceiling and the pulley system in between it and the kayak, are you cutting it this close?

do you have access to the attic? if it was this tight for space you could install the pulley system up there and just have holes for your lift rope and pull rope through the sheet rock or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Not getting why the sling and ropes still wont work - are you using pulleys? your only limiting factor for how high you lift is the height of the ceiling and the pulley system in between it and the kayak, are you cutting it this close?

do you have access to the attic? if it was this tight for space you could install the pulley system up there and just have holes for your lift rope and pull rope through the sheet rock or whatever...
      Sorry I wasnt clear. Here in S Africa we dont know what attics are. Its under a simple lean to roof. I am not using pulleys. The new car is too high and their is no space so I wanted to move the kayak and mount it on the wall. It is a monopitch roof and the highest point is by the wall . Something almost like a sliding shelf mounted to the wall so I can slowly move it up from each side by myself.

Comment

Oh gotcha --- actually one heavy Kayak, must be an ocean yak?

so your talking attaching something to an outside wall? or just two extenders off the roof that way outside and go back to the rope system,

I wonder if you could just build a framework 45 degree ramp to the back of the vehicle and push it up that way,

the extenders off the roof might be the least invasive and could be designed to fold when not in use,

don't know just thinking out loud here

Comment

Last summer I watched an elderly gentleman and his wife load their kayaks on the roof of their SUV. He had a Thule Hullavator Pro rack which made it easy even for the less physically inclined. They are pretty pricey but one could make their own version. Click on the far right photo to show it in action.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/sport...-pro-_-1685448

Comment

Working...
          X