OT: Frontier Internet Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Frontier Internet Speed

After years of mumbling about slow internet speeds and not wanting to switch to Comcast I finally called my phone supplier and whined to them about slow speeds. Today two Frontier technicians showed up and upgraded the service. After some fiddling and diddling my download speed has gone from 2.56 mbps to 18.6 mbps and upload goes from 0.41 mbps to 1.7 mbps.

They replaced the ancient wire from the pole to the house (I think they put in a larger diameter wire so the information can flow more easily through the wire).

And even better, the cost stays the same as the slower speed was.

Errol Groff
    Last edited by Errol Groff; 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM.
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

I spent the past 8 years living with the same speeds with everyone quoting snr length of line, rural location etc then recently got finished from the job I struggled using it with so to cut costs we had one of the two phone lines disconnected and magically we get a reliable 10Mb line.
    nobodies fessing up but theymust have split the single line way back when we paid for the second install.

its a great Xmas present but the iron y isn't lost on me that I am not currently in a position to need it.
    have a good new year with your speedier net.
    Last edited by MrFluffy; 01-01-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
      I spent the past 8 years living with the same speeds with everyone quoting snr length of line, rural location etc then recently got finished from the job I struggled using it with so to cut costs we had one of the two phone lines disconnected and magically we get a reliable 10Mb line.
      nobodies fessing up but theymust have split the single line way back when we paid for the second install.

its a great Xmas present but the iron y isn't lost on me that I am not currently in a position to need it.
      have a good new year with your speedier net.
      In the 90's in rural UK locations British Telecom sales arm sold a LOT of second lines stupidly without checking to see if any physical network actually existed to provide them, so to split the line into two you would then have a DACS unit fitted with it's 56k top speed.

Paul

Comment

When I lived in the UK BT sold me a second office line and fitted a DACS because they had no local pole capacity, a prompt phone call saw it removed as line was explicitly sold for fax and data use back in the ISDN days (I had recordings of the sales call despite their denials), and then missed their target to install the line by 8 months and offered a months compensation instead of 8 as per the contract and I had to take them the ombudsman to get that. It certainly wasn't a rural area either, it was a large town location close to the infrastructure cabinets just a few hops off a main POP. Good old BT eh?
        This was more insidious as the bottleneck was intra-panel patching at the exchange rather than something I could detect and get corrected, I'd got the SNR stats out my modem etc to present to the helpdesk with but it just kept coming back to "its a rural copper line 3km away from the dslam". They made no line changes at the customer premises end (here), it just suddenly went faster after we had the second line ceased. Although my provider is still quoting the line as supporting a max 2Mb connection, its still happily spinning away with a peak of 1100k/s speed and 5db of noise down from 30db previously! There's going to be hell to pay if they put me back in the 2Mb profile group now :-)

Comment

I have frontier, get only 2.75, live 3 miles from a small town whertr they get around 70, I have the phone box in my yard but the electric co has already ran the tube by the house & in about a year we should have high speed. Could be worse I'm as far west as Frontier goes.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Where I live, the phone company tells me they won't even support old dialup speed, let alone DSL. They say their system is over capacity. Well hello! Maybe do something about it? The cable company won't extend their service as far away from "town" as I am. That would mean about 1 1/2 miles further that where they are now. Satellite service is a ripoff in my opinion unless there is no other choice. Luckily, we have good cell service, and we use wireless data service. The providers vary IMMENSELY in customer service and usage. We have gone through quite a few, it's either a billing issue or useage ripoff. There are ways you can track your own usage aside from relying on what they say.

Comment

I just went through nearly the same thing. I have been paying for 16mbps and only getting 10 to 12 mbps. I just happen to be at my neighbors place when the telephone service guy was checking his internet speed. I told him about my slower connection speed and he came over to my place and made some checks. He then installed their latest and greatest modem and now I get 18mbps. He also told me that the wiring to the whole neighborhood could have some effect on the speed.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Folks, I have become used to being spoiled. Over the past couple decades internet speeds have improved where I live as the technology allows, and we are now to the point where I get 900mbps both directions (advertised to be 1000, but actual tests are slightly lower). Some providers here are still at 5 or 50 mbps max, but they don't cost much less. So most of the time I'm waiting on the other end to feed as fast as it can rather than my end being the bottleneck.
                I'd like to think that if some places like here have those kinds of speeds, then it would eventually spread to everywhere else over time. Unfortunately the deck is stacked against the consumer since governments allow, indeed encourage, monopolies to exist for bad reasons which encourages laziness on the part of providers, i.e. they are making their money, no need to invest in improvements. Hopefully sanity and ambition will crowd those lazy companies out eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X