OT: Fireworks over our city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Fireworks over our city

We live out in the country with no neighbors close by. The nearest city is Lِrrach. There is a place over the city on a hill where if you stand in the middle of the road you can look down at the city of Lِrrach, Germany. If you turn around you look down on the Swiss city of Basel. Last night we went to this hill to watch the fireworks taking place in the two cities. These are not a town sponsored or an organized display. Just people setting off fireworks in front of their houses in the street. I had never been to this place on New Years. I was stunned by the amount of fireworks being set off. It looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. literally thousands of fireworks being set off at the same time. And it went on for at least 30minutes. It was spectacular.

This picture is not from last night. It is from 2012 but it shows what I meant. The picture doesn't do the spectacle justice but it gives an idea.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

we did not have fireworks in Michigan where I grew up; fear of forest fires in a state that is essentially a marsh with lakes

here in New Mexico any twit with a pocketful of cash can buy fireworks. the people who do apparently do not have day jobs. there are more fireworks at 2 AM than 2 PM. no consideration for other people. the sort of people who buy them are exactly the people who should not have them.

Comment

I AM surprised.

Highly regulated europe with free access to fireworks and no issues with setting them off wherever??

Hmmmm.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Nice photo. Happy New Year!

After reading about drinking wells contaminated with perchlorate from fireworks, it's difficult to look at them the same way. It falls to the ground and it persists, year after year, eventually draining down into the water table. There is a municipal drinking well downstate that has that contamination from annual displays. It seems like something that just isn't likely to happen, but it is confirmed by studies.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/mas...dartmouth.html

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
        there are more fireworks at 2 AM than 2 PM. no consideration for other people.
        I have a neighbor like that. They now only launch a few so the cops can't catch them in the act. I supported legalization, but no longer do, due to the inconsiderate abuse by people who can't limit them to certain times around holidays. Plus the fire hazzard - people launching them in dry conditions, in a dangerous area. And you know they won't take responsibility if it burns property.

Comment

We had a very wet day here in SE Texas. The city usually has fireworks on holidays, probably to discourage individuals from setting them off. It is strange that the surrounding areas, which are mostly forest do allow fireworks, but here in the city they are illegal. Of course that does not stop some. It is hard to see the city display from my home on the west side of the city but I did hear some. We did not go out to see them.

When I lived in Miramar, FL I was just a few blocks from the city playground where they held their display. We went there one year and found that the view was better from our front lawn. So from then on we just went out the front door and had a perfect view.

I was in Washington, DC one year and worked in a building there with a roof that had a good view of the Mall. I was fortunate to have access to that roof and watched the DC fireworks from there on the 4th. It was a bit further away than my Florida lawn, but it was a really great show.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

There are some areas that it is restricted. Places with wooden homes and such. I think there are a lot of fires started by the fireworks.
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Colo. springs has the AdAman club, called that because they add-A-man every year to the group who climbs pikes peak and lights off fireworks,,, we could have seen them all the way where we live about 35 miles away had we had the common sense to just step outside and look, ooops forgot.

http://adaman.org/

Comment

here is a photo from the other side of the street.

Comment

One year in Michigan someone goofed & hey were legal & no one wanted the big ones if legal. We have several lakes round us with Chicago people, Chicago to me is anything past Gary to the Wisc border so if I offended you sorry. They love fireworks & every holiday they are going late into the night.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                    we did not have fireworks in Michigan where I grew up; fear of forest fires in a state that is essentially a marsh with lakes

here in New Mexico any twit with a pocketful of cash can buy fireworks. the people who do apparently do not have day jobs. there are more fireworks at 2 AM than 2 PM. no consideration for other people. the sort of people who buy them are exactly the people who should not have them.
                    Sounds about right...........more failed liberal laws and policies that make no sense.

JL..............

Comment

Where I live its a big problem. But new years has nothing on Dewali,the festival of lights. I live in a province that has the most indians on the planet outside of India.You have to just sedate your dogs and all is fine .Dewali is not like New year where it goes on for a few minutes .It is over two nights and is for many hours.
                      http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...utcry-20170101

Comment

What annoys me is hearing those characteristic 3 round bursts, and an occasional full auto burst, sometimes fast, sometimes deeper and slower.

What goes up must come down. And this ain't the middle east.

That is mostly well north and east of me, sound carries well at night. But it still ain't the brightest thing to do. Them as owns 'em need a bit more sense.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

We used to just have them on Nov 5th. Good historical reason for it for kids to learn and understand then silence for 364 nights. Then foreigners started coming in with no respect for our culture and tradition and just start letting them off on their birthdays etc. and of course we're not allowed to complain as it is part of their culture etc.

Comment

And, I discovered that someone not too far away found a windshield broken on their vehicle, and a bullet on the floor. From the position relative to other cars etc, it HAD to have fallen after some dip**** fired into the air.

These ain't foreigners, they are local Bubbas who have a second amendment solution for anything they don't like that "the gummint went and done".

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                            X