What is it? drill stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it? drill stand?

Bought this for 20p at a car boot sale in Caerleon a while back and just rediscovered it, first glance I thought it might have been some kind of shop made drill stand but some of the hole sizes dont conform to any known drill size, the top row is imperial drill sizes but the rest match nothing I have.
    The H, Z & U markings are interesting too.

Any ideas?

Paul

A rather nicely made bolt sizer?

Comment

The markings on the wood surface of the holder look like what might be made by punches. Maybe there were some punches for common screw sizes in the holes?
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
      P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
      and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Imperial screw sizes? #14 is just smaller than 1/4", #4 just under 1/8" (0.112" nom)

Do the duplicated values in the third row match the second row values? (8, 6, 4, 2)

Comment

Old knitting needle size checker? Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I don't know what it is, but the real question is why'd ya buy it?(I do it too)

Comment

It would be difficult to use that as a drill stand so I think we can rule out that. It does seem to be some kind of gauge, either for screw sizes or drill sizes or both. The row labels, H, Z, and U are puzzling. H seems to be for fractional sizes but I have no clue to why. Z is for number size screws and again I have no clue as to why that letter was used. Finally I do not know what the U row even is. Perhaps one of the numerous other wire gauge sizes. But if it is, I would bet that the name of that wire gauge series does not start with the letter U. At least not in English.

Perhaps those letters make more sense in some other language. French? German? Spanish?

Zahl seems to mean number in German. I had no luck with the others.

As for the circular marks in the wood stand, they are all about the same size suggesting they were made with the same tool. I suspect it was ruffed out with some kind of router cutter, perhaps a hand made one, and it left those marks. Then the remainder of the wood was chiseled out to form the rectangular opening. I don't think they had anything to do with the making or use of the brass plate.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Forstner bit in a drill press, I think.

I think you found my uncle's doo-dad - his name was Hans Zapf Ulrich

Comment

Originally posted by enl View Post
                  Imperial screw sizes? #14 is just smaller than 1/4", #4 just under 1/8" (0.112" nom)

Do the duplicated values in the third row match the second row values? (8, 6, 4, 2)
                  If the top row are bolt sizes, where is the 7/16"?
                  The second row for machine screws? #7 doesn't exist as far as I know, but #5 does which is missing.
                  The bottom row has 00 but not #1 or #0.
                  I think it's 20p worth of scrap brass and a bit of kindling.

Comment

The marks in the recess do appear to be the sort of marks left by Forstner drill bits. But I don't see the usually fairly prominent center divot made by the pointed pilot. At least not very clearly.

At first glance it sure does seem like a screw size identification plate. But Reggie points out some rather odd discrepancies that make it seem like it's either a custom made sizer with specific uses or that the maker made a few boo-boos. The numbers certainly do not refer to wire gauge sizes either. Bigger numbers are larger size wire gauges.

Comment

enl your suggestion of row Z being screw sizes might be close, I tried a selection of woodscrews in the holes and they are an "almost" fit and given that the shape of modern woodscrew design differs from that of older types... but row U not a clue.

If it were some kind of sizing gauge surely you would expect the base to be hollowed out?

The woodwork does look very handmade and possibly more recent than the old brassware.

Puzzled Paul

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
                        I don't know what it is, but the real question is why'd ya buy it?(I do it too)
                        Something weird and handmade like this.... I just had to

Comment

Originally posted by _Paul_ View Post
                          Something weird and handmade like this.... I just had to
                          I know the feeling bro.

Comment

Its Mahogany

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                              If the top row are bolt sizes, where is the 7/16"?
                              The second row for machine screws? #7 doesn't exist as far as I know, but #5 does which is missing.
                              The bottom row has 00 but not #1 or #0.
                              I think it's 20p worth of scrap brass and a bit of kindling.
                              #7 screw size measures 0.151". Not common, but it does exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X