OT Craftsman brand being sold by Sears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Craftsman brand being sold by Sears

It's been rumored for a while that Sears would be selling off the Craftsman brand. Looks like it's official. Stanley Black and Decker is ponying up $900M for it
    http://www.inddist.com/news/2017/01/...location%3dtop
    Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Sears is closing 150 stores in the US so maybe they are cash poor and drowning.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I believe Sears just took an additional 500M loan to stay afloat. I think that brings up the loan total to over 800M..

Comment

Sears is a sinking ship. And what is curious between them and Monkey Wards they basically perfected the business model that Amazon is using. Sears just never adapted to the Internet. What's next Kenmore?
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

If this holding company is related to the Stanley that now owns Mac Tools, Heaven help anyone that has a warrant issue with a Craftsman product.
          Joe

Comment

Also interesting to see that Stanley is on a buying spree. Also picking up brands such as Lenox etc.

Comment

Craftsman has fallen so much in recent years that I can't believe that the name is worth that much. But then I'm not in the home of the land that made Craftsman into an icon. Perhaps there is still that sense of quality among enough of the public to justify it. But as far as I'm concerned it may as well be put to rest and forgotten to history.

Frankly I'd rather go down the street and buy some of the whimsically named "Bynford" tools from Princess Auto. At least then I can exercise my sense of humor while buying cheap import tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
                Also interesting to see that Stanley is on a buying spree. Also picking up brands such as Lenox etc.
                Well, I suppose a tweet from the POTUS-elect might have an influence on Stanley's present business model.

Sure changed FORD's plans for Mexico and Carrier's before that.

Comment

I havent been fond of anything new from craftsman in a number of years. Still plenty of older stuff out at fleamarkets. As far as new tool purchases im becoming very fond of Proto

Comment

I still cherish the nice slim thin and tough Craftman sockets that I have left from the mid 70's purchase. Saying you had Craftsman tools back then was not a far step down from saying you had Snap-On. I don't go hound dogging for more of them at the flea markets or second hand shops. But I can understand those that do.

A few years ago I was working on my truck with the 3/8 Craftsman ratchet when something happened and the circlip spring came out of the groove and the ratchet "exploded". I never did find the ratchet pawl on the drive way. I kept the parts for quite a while in the hope that the pawl would turn up. I finally buried the rest of the parts with a sad heart. That ratchet did a lot of work over a lot of years. It also fit my hand like it matched my DNA. Needless to say the over the counter replacement for a new version was not even a thought given what they had by that time.

Haven't seen a lot of Proto up here. But I picked up a modest size socket set by Stanley to use in my wood shop now that it's well away from the tools in the metal and motorcycle area. They've proven to be pretty decent. Haven't done the "big pipe on the ratchet" test yet but for general use they are slim enough and handy enough to pass muster so far on any realistic level. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

Up this way for mechanics tools Canadian Tire is using the same concept as the old Craftsman line. Decent tools at a reasonable price. The set of wrenches I picked up to go with the Stanley socket set are CT's house brand Mastercraft Maximum wrenches. Got them on sale for a price I couldn't say no to. The intent was occasional and brief use only to save me a few trips up and down the stairs. But they are pretty darn good wrenches in their own right. And they come with CT's life time exchange warranty.

Comment

I buy Williams because no one knows how good they are, owned by Snap-On but not as shiny but I'm told made in the US to fill government contracts or so I'm told. Good tools IMHO.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Proto is also owned by the Stanley Black and Decker. And via Proto, so is Blackhawk. And...

Craftsman went to all heck some time ago. I liked their "Professional" branded wrenches but that's all gone. Now you can get "full polish", Made in China.

I've always liked SK, and still buy them. Made in the USA (for now)
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                          Proto is also owned by the Stanley Black and Decker. And via Proto, so is Blackhawk. And...

Craftsman went to all heck some time ago. I liked their "Professional" branded wrenches but that's all gone. Now you can get "full polish", Made in China.

I've always liked SK, and still buy them. Made in the USA (for now)

Yeah Proto is also made in the USA.... For now

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
                            Sears is a sinking ship. And what is curious between them and Monkey Wards they basically perfected the business model that Amazon is using. Sears just never adapted to the Internet. What's next Kenmore?
                            I believe both Kenmore and Diehard are on the block.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                              I buy Williams because no one knows how good they are, owned by Snap-On but not as shiny but I'm told made in the US to fill government contracts or so I'm told. Good tools IMHO.
                              Williams and Armstrong. They are both extremely high quality but much lower cost than the flashy names like Mac, Matco and Snap-On. Armstrong is used pretty extensively in the aerospace and defense sector. Walk into any defense contractor that does any kind of high-value assembly and you don't see Crapsman or Snap-On - you see Armstrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X