bridgeport on myth busters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgeport on myth busters

I miss myth-busters. I enjoyed their programmes. I see it doesnt matter who you are .You can be famous and still enjoy having a man cave.
    I wonder if Adam Savage would consider proving to Sir John that bridgeports arent wet noodles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3735B42v-wI

Sounds like a bag of nails and it's only machining a bit of foam.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

It sounds like a typical vari-drive head. There's a little slop in the sheaves which gives that slight rattle, but I'd hardly call that a "bag of nails".

What surprises me is that a guy with Mythbusters money- I'm sure he's a multimillionaire these days- who has been a modeller/"maker"/DIY-er/what-have-you for something like 25 years now, is only just now getting a proper milling machine.

Hell, that would have been the first thing I bought with my first Mythbusters paycheck.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
        It sounds like a typical vari-drive head. There's a little slop in the sheaves which gives that slight rattle, but I'd hardly call that a "bag of nails".

What surprises me is that a guy with Mythbusters money- I'm sure he's a multimillionaire these days- who has been a modeller/"maker"/DIY-er/what-have-you for something like 25 years now, is only just now getting a proper milling machine.

Hell, that would have been the first thing I bought with my first Mythbusters paycheck.

Doc.
        I hear you but he may be a true home hobby type machinest. If I won the lotto tomorrow it would open the world for me .I would send the message out that Im after a graziano sag14 .When I find one the haggling is an important part of the whole deal.I wouldnt even consider buying a new machine. That just wouldnt be any fun. Maybe he suffers the same affliction?

Comment

I was quite touched by the obvious affection he has for it, I'm no Bridgeport aficionado but would have one, I prefer my cat 40 taper Cincinati but if one of them had come along first I'd have probably bought it, most all my machines are fitted with the rust and bag of nails attatchments.
          Mark

Comment

He worked as a model maker for many years, where speed was top priority and everything is wood, latex and foam. I think he is pretty new to metal work in general and very new to methodical precision metal work.

He is a hour of cringe in this video. But he is learning. https://youtu.be/7JrCejRYGAM

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Doc.
              Agree, with all the money he's made both from the show and M5 Industries, he could have bought a mill, any milling machine any time he wanted. I guess the B'port was just a machine he was familiar with.

Comment

My guess is if he had not bought one until now he just didnt need it. Its not like it was a money issue so maybe the need just wasnt there.

Comment

I wonder if Jamie will have any sort of spin-off show. Mythbusters got boring toward the end but was a great show.

Comment

The Bridgeport beats the crap out of any mill/drill toy. I say toy, because a Bridgeport makes them seem like a toy, just as a cat40 machine probably puts the Bridgeport to shame. All depends on your needs. Our hobby has taken a downturn. If NYC CNC, Jamie, and others bring the hobby back into view, I'm all for them, mistakes and all.

Comment

My exact first though...then my second was, it is a TV show, I guess others are making the stuff for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                        My exact first though...then my second was, it is a TV show, I guess others are making the stuff for the show.
                        I believe they had a mill on the show, in Jamies shop, now adam needs his own if he wants to keep milling. Some of his projects he must have had some mill access for.

HSM and tv show production are two different environments. They don't pay him to muck around on a mill all day. It makes sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
                          HSM and tv show production are two different environments. They don't pay him to muck around on a mill all day. It makes sense to me.
                          -Actually, they kind of do. Tested is often little more than Adam taking us on a tour through his shop, or showing us how he makes some prop item. It might not be "mucking about on a mill every day", but it's darn sure "mucking around in the shop all day".

It is kind of interesting, though. He showed off his lathe on an earlier show, a couple of years ago, and it was clearly a mid-range import that he'd obviously bought well-used. This Bridgeport, too, is clearly a well-used machine. Both, of course, seemed in pretty good condition, but were still fairly high-mileage machines.

So either Adam doesn't- or didn't- make as much from the show as he might have (I'd be stunned if he was getting less than $100K an episode) or he's being surprisingly frugal with his cash.

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            The Bridgeport beats the crap out of any mill/drill toy. I say toy, because a Bridgeport makes them seem like a toy, just as a cat40 machine probably puts the Bridgeport to shame. All depends on your needs. Our hobby has taken a downturn. If NYC CNC, Jamie, and others bring the hobby back into view, I'm all for them, mistakes and all.
                            Agree 100%. Even though I've been around here for 10 years and having found out that no one here cares anything about anything I've ever posted, I have to agree. The Bridgeport is an excellent machine. Have I ever used one? Sure have. I've got many hours on one that belongs to a friend and hundreds more on my Webb clone (similar to the one that John's got but don't tell him).

Here's to Bridgys! You either have one or you don't.

Comment

So that thing can actually carve through foam- what power To be fair though, it would be an upgrade from my round column mill-
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X