Grizzly GO768

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly GO768

I am looking at the Grizzly GO768 lathe. I see there is one (GO768Z) that comes with a DRO and is only $245 more.
    Does any one know what kind of DRO this is?
    I have emailed Grizzly but they have not responded.
    Also it seems the cross slide and compound have metric threads. Has any one changed these out for true inch?
    Thanks

I see nothing in the manual to indicate that the cross-slide and compound are metric. They say .05 per rev and .001 per mark. The lead screw is 12 tpi.

I don't see DRO scales on the lathe so can't guess as to the type. The reader head has a model number on it that I could not find on their site.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

From the second picture at the Grizzly web site that shows a close up of the DRO panel it's a three axis readout with a zero button on each axis and one more button to convert between inches and metric. So it doesn't have a lot of the fancy operations found on the more fancy DRO's. But then at only $250 extra what do we expect?

Oddly enough they don't list it as a separate item. The other odd thing is that there's no link to a manual for this lathe so it's impossible to see if there is a section about the DRO to see what functions it has. Or if it will remember the a true zero on the cross slide axis. If that is the case you'd need to figure out some way or tool to allow setting the center axis zero easily. Otherwise you'd only have relative readings.

If you're fairly flush then what the hell? Go for the Z model. But if you're on a budget I personally feel that the funds for the DRO of this sort could be better spent on additional tooling.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I received this e-mail from Grizzly about the DRO.
        Dear John,

Thank you for your email dated January 10, 2017.

We are happy to assist you. The DRO is a magnetically mounted X/YAxis Grizzly DRO. The item is currently on backorder but you may put your email address and zip code on the page on our website and we will notify you when they are in stock.

If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.

Sincerely,

Lisa
        Grizzly Industrial, Inc.
        EN #600598

I am wondering if another display could be installed since magnetic scales are already installed.

Comment

"Magnetically MOUNTED" sounds different from "magnetic scales". Perhaps they are simply confused

It may be that they do not even have this unit yet, hence no manual, no details. Even if they were out of stock, no reason otherwise for there to be no on-line details or manual.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            ...But if you're on a budget I personally feel that the funds for the DRO of this sort could be better spent on additional tooling...
            Perhaps, but a DRO will make all those tools much easier to use...
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              The other odd thing is that there's no link to a manual for this lathe so it's impossible to see if there is a section about the DRO to see what functions it has.
              It was just added to their catalog for this year, and usually the documentation for the new products takes several months to show up. This is because once the product starts shipping, the first item comes to the warehouse and the tech writers strip it down and write the manual for it.

To the OP: Grizzly doesn't have the best track record for speedy release of new products. Sometimes it takes 4-7 months for the brand new product to actually start shipping. This might not be as bad, since it is simply adding a cheap DRO to an existing product line, but if your really want a lathe NOW! instead of May, then I would recommend not pinning your hopes on this one.

DRO on a lathe is a nice to have in my book (whereas I feel a DRO on a mill is a must-have). On a lathe this size, you can take all the precision measurements you need with magnet backed travel indicators.

Comment

The one with the DRO is a new product for them. They don't have it on the showroom floor in Springfield yet. They are moving all their machines around right now to make room for new models. I can report more later once they put them out.

I've personally rebuilt at least a dozen of these models. They are made by the same factory that manufactures their 7 x 14 G0765. I've rebuilt at least a dozen of those too.

Why does it really matter what kind of threads the compound has? The dials are all in standard imperial.
                -Matt

Comment

Working...
                X