Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Bung Hole

Ok, stop laughing.

I'm building a hydraulic oil tank and would like to find some pre-made bung fittings. Anyone know of a supplier that's cheap and ships fast. I need a 3/8", 1/2" and some type of filler bung--maybe 1".

The tank has to be a custom shape to fit into the space so the prefab "boxes" won't work.

By the way, what is type "A" transmision fluid? I've got Mercon, Dextron, Ford and Toyota. What the heck is "A"?

Automatic?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

They're ALL "automatic" fluids!

I wonder it type A is the old slip-a-matic stuff?

Comment

Type A is OLD Hydromatic fluid. Still avalable .
        The last time a customer of mine needed some I simply called up our supplier and got a case.
        Type A IS different than modern stuff if it NEEDS Type A, do yourself a favor and get it.

Rob

[This message has been edited by roberlt (edited 07-27-2004).]

Comment

Ken, I think I've seen bung hole someplace for sale but can't remember where. When I need one, I just turn one out on the lathe with a flange. Then insert it into the tank and silver solder it on. Works great.
          Micael

Comment

I cut pipe couplings in half, mig welded them into the last tank. They worked great.

David

Comment

Try asking for a bulkhead fitting.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think what you need is a "weldolet".
                Basically a machined or stamped flange with a tapped hole in center.

Alot cheaper to use a steel pipe coupling, or if a male pipe connection is suitable, cut a short nipple in half and weld on.

Comment

See here:

Bad choice of name though. Kinda appropriate to the topic title

http://www.kthsales.com/website/vend...n-Fittings.htm

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-28-2004).]

Comment

I didn't believe that until I clicked on the link.

Comment

Ken try to get hold of a McMaster Carr catalogue. Everyone who is involved in this type of pursuit should have one. Older ones are good, as part numbers remain valid.
                      They have weld on tank fittings;
                      3/8" 12555K82
                      1/2" 12555K83
                      1" 12555K85

$10.00 should cover cost including shipping.
                      wwwmcmaster.com You will have them by Friday.
                      Jim H.

Comment

TRry a chandlers or yacht suppliers they should be able to help you out Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 07-28-2004).]
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Refresh my memory please, what kind of activity are chandlers engaged in? (I think I have known that in the past.)

Comment

A dealer in provisions and supplies, originally candles, oils and paints. Ship Chandler, a dealer in supplies for ships.

Comment

Well boat chandlers or yacht chandler do everything to do with boats and boating not just big ships.
                              They sell lots of different fittings that can be used on modern boats.
                              I know they sell the same type off fittings you require as they are used on yachts for water tanks etc etc Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X