No announcement yet.

3 h.p. Single Phase Compressor motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought you found voltage on the motor terminals? If so, then how can something before that be shot and not passing current?

Are you now saying that you do not get continuity through the relay? Or at least voltage does not appear on the motor?

Anyhow, just because, you may try going through the unit, removing wires one lug at a time, cleaning them up, and replacing them in place. Might fix matters, unless you know there is a more serious problem.
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Jerry, when I found voltage on the terminals, they were all connected to the relay wires, so either it was being passed through the fields somehow, or I was confused (probably the most likely).

As it turns out, that L2 terminal is in fact a dummy. I may take it apart to see if I can repair the dead contact like PSTechPaul suggested. I was looking at the eBay item when you posted your response, garagemark. I don't see why that wouldn't work. On my current unit, the power switch is also the leg that goes through the pressure cutoff switch.

It is cold out in the unheated area of my shop right now (25°), otherwise I'd try to see if I can clean up the inoperative contact inside the relay to resurrect it. If not, I will probably buy one of those eBay units for $60. It has provisions for adjustable maximum amperage and a pressure cutoff switch.

Dan L
      Salem, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Danl View Post
        So the start capacitor is not even used in this setup?

I'm hoping there is something I can use instead of this old thing, since it does not appear to be repairable.

Dan L
        Of course the start capacitor is used. 5k675k is described as a capacitor start,capacitor run motor. In spite of my best efforts, I could not pull up the wiring diagran for your motor. Other Dayton motor owners said they called Grainger ( Dayton is their brand) and were able to get a diagram. Some of us are more sure than others as to how it is wired but it would be good to have some documentation to be sure. Make sure it is the full disgram and not just what is on the plate. The info is free for the asking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Once connections have been overheated its hard to get them cleaned up again. You can have voltage and no or not enough current to run the motor, if connections are bad. As long as the motor windings are not burnt, or open, capacitor is ok, and you have the info on the starting relay and all checks, I would buy the motor contactor Paul found for you. You do need to know the coil voltage on the old one and get the same.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
            Once connections have been overheated its hard to get them cleaned up again. You can have voltage and no or not enough current to run the motor, if connections are bad. As long as the motor windings are not burnt, or open, capacitor is ok, and you have the info on the starting relay and all checks, I would buy the motor contactor Paul found for you. You do need to know the coil voltage on the old one and get the same.
            That makes perfect sense. Once I get back out there, I plan on taking more photos of the relay wiring so I can reconnect everything properly after I remove it, clean all contacts and repair the T1-L1 buss if I can. The motor is back in operation now, due to the fact that I temporarily jump wired the T1-L1 terminals. I may end up buying the $60 magnetic switch after all, but I will first see if this is worth repairing. I'll bet the old relay is at least 40 years old, and has given me no troubles over the 10 or 12 years I've owned it.
            Salem, Oregon

Comment

Here's the wiring diagram,there is also a centrifugal switch in the motor that can cause starting issues.

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/5K675_6.pdf
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Here's the wiring diagram,there is also a centrifugal switch in the motor that can cause starting issues.

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/5K675_6.pdf
                OK if it has the switch there is no starting or potential relay. OP has got it running and just using one leg of the motor starter, and that is ok too. It would be better to have both OL heaters inline but there are thousands of HVAC compressor single stage 220 volt that have only one hot leg switched. I do not like it because it leaves the other leg hot all the time, but they come wired from the factory like that.
                Last edited by wmgeorge; 01-13-2017, 02:28 PM.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Working...
                X