Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: D.B. Cooper search with new evidence

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sci...rRA?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe some of you older guys from the Northwest would know what they're looking for?
    Len

Seems silly....

Why not look from the other end? Instead of looking for where he came from, look for people who should have been somewhere and were not, after the event. A little late now, anyway, most of the folks who would know are dead, and the records were probably shredded years ago..

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

They found some of the cash, south of where they were looking. When I was skydiving the LZ owners name was Dennis, his friends called him DB I'm sure as a joke & he was investigated as he was the right size, age & had the skill set to do it. He died in an ultralight about 10 years ago. Would be nice to know what happened.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

I don't know enough about DNA testing; but I would imagine the tie would contain some sort of DNA evidence. If that is the case than I would think that they could test against the most probable suspect's DNA.

-Bob

Comment

The tie was probably bought in a thrift store as part of his disguise. Probably has dna evidence from several people and negates the value of the trace element evidence.

Comment

I hope its not the same agents that investigated Hillary's emails. If so they wont find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Seems silly....

Why not look from the other end? Instead of looking for where he came from, look for people who should have been somewhere and were not, after the event. A little late now, anyway, most of the folks who would know are dead, and the records were probably shredded years ago..

This would be my thinking as well.
              A quote below from the article linked to by the OP.

Kaye wonders if Cooper could have been a Boeing employee or a contractor who wore the tie to work.

“The tie went with him into these manufacturing environments, for sure, so he was not one of the people running these (manufacturing machines). He was either an engineer or a manager in one of the plants,” Kaye said.
              I would believe that someone in this position would certainly not just vanish without some sort of intense investigation into his disappearance. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a paper trail leading to an investigation of key engineering people or contractors associated to a missing persons case during the time frame in question.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

For those interested in the direct details, check http://www.citizensleuths.com/ (that is, later, when the current press frenzy dies down.)

It has a rather well detailed look at almost all the old data, plus all the new data, including microphotographs of some of the metal particles from the tie. They- the Sleuths group- even tried various experiments concerning the condition and location of the found money, such as trying to determine how rapidly the rubber bands deteriorated, how well it floated in that river, etc.

When I was skydiving the LZ owners name was Dennis, his friends called him DB I'm sure as a joke & he was investigated as he was the right size, age & had the skill set to do it.
                -The "DB" part is a media error. The name on the ticket was "Dan Cooper", and the media of the day conflated that with one of the people being investigated- possibly even your friend.

Why not look from the other end? Instead of looking for where he came from, look for people who should have been somewhere and were not, after the event.
                -The hijacking took place over a long holiday weekend, it's speculated that was specifically so the perp could do the deed and be back at work Monday morning as if nothing happened.

I don't know enough about DNA testing; but I would imagine the tie would contain some sort of DNA evidence.
                -No DNA was found on the tie. There were at one time some cigarette butts that "DB" had smoked while on the plane, that the FBI had collected at the time, but they have since been lost or discarded.

The tie, by the way, was a clip-on, suggesting that the owner went to the manufacturing areas often enough to worry about getting caught, but was in the 'clean' or administrative areas enough that a tie was required.

And it's assumed a "manufacturing" area, because a very fine aluminum turning curl was found, along with tiny slivers of pure titanium.

I would believe that someone in this position would certainly not just vanish without some sort of intense investigation into his disappearance.
                -Why assume the perp "disappeared"? As noted, the event took place over a long holiday weekend, and it's entirely possible that if he survived the late-night bad-weather jump (as it's almost certain he did, since no body or parachute was ever found) he made his way back home and went back to work the following Monday as if nothing happened.

One suggestion from the early days of the investigation was that the guy may have had a big debt he owed- gambling, perhaps- and so all or most of the money was almost immediately handed over to a third party soon after the hijacking. Meaning "Cooper" would never have been seen "living the high life" with his newfound wealth (the 1971 equivalent of $1.2 million today) and would have had to go right back to his day job.

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

What was the aircraft type?

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                    Meaning "Cooper" would never have been seen "living the high life" with his newfound wealth (the 1971 equivalent of $1.2 million today) and would have had to go right back to his day job.
                    'Scared Straight, Never to Gamble Again."

Doesn't seem to fit the pattern of gamblers who get it wrong so badly that they need to resort to desparate measures in an attempt to get out from under.

The lure of that next big score ...

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      What was the aircraft type?
                      A distinctive feature of this event was the staircase that decends from the tail which served as the hijacker's point of exit.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                        A distinctive feature of this event was the staircase that decends from the tail which served as the hijacker's point of exit.
                        That would be a B727 if memory serves...
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Doesn't seem to fit the pattern of gamblers who get it wrong so badly that they need to resort to desparate measures in an attempt to get out from under.
                          -True, but again, it's just speculation of a possible motive. What if "Cooper" was dying, perhaps from cancer, and this was either a way to pay for the treatment, or a way to fund a trust or inheritance for his family? What if he just stuffed it all in a sack under his bed, and waited the ten years or so 'til he retired, then took it and his retirement to live it up on the French Riviera?

The only evidence we have is negative- no one came forward to say "Hey, my neighbor suddenly had [the equivalent of] a million dollars to play with and bought a bunch of fancy cars, maybe you guys should look into it".

For example, it's possible "Cooper" wasn't even American. While the attendants reported he had no distinct accent, he asked for "negotiable American currency", which was an unusual way to put it. It's possible "Cooper" flew in from elsewhere (the Sleuths speculate it's possible he was from Canada, and came from a French/English speaking area) and flew back once the deed was done.

I get the impression the original FBI investigation only focused on the immediate surrounding area to the flight origin. Who's to say the guy didn't take three connecting flights in from the East Coast? Or flew up from California? Or bugged out to Rio? If he was already a loner (no wife, no kids, maybe he'd just quit his job and sold his house so nobody thought it unusual that he disappeared, etc.

We unfortunately have remarkably few facts in this case. No photos, no fingerprints, no DNA, no sightings, the discovery of the money actually adds more questions than it answers, etc, etc. So it's pretty much all speculation.

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Apparently everyone missed that what they're looking for is information regarding the traces of aerospace alloys found on the tie and tie clip.
                            Trying to find out who in the Northwest was using them at the time.
                            Len

Comment

OK, I had forgotten about that.

There is likely no practical way to exit any other commercial aircraft in flight, as the door is in front of the engines on some, and there is likely to be a very difficult exit avoiding the door opening on most others. Even with the stairway, airflow is likely to eddy and risk blowing the exiting person back into the stairway, injuring them.

If nobody was missing, then either "Cooper" had left employment, or made the exit and landing successfully and returned. I don't recall if there was any special clothing worn, regular clothing could be pretty well torn up by even slow airspeed on exiting. That would seem to mark a person if they came out of the "bush" dressed in traveling clothes that are torn up.

An interesting problem, and one with almost surely no solution now.

DNA would have been little use. It does not pick anyone out of a crowd. It only answers the question of "are these two people actually identical?", "are these two people likely to be related?", "was this person probably at that location", or "did he probably touch this thing?".

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X