Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make nuts for self-drilling sheet metal screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make nuts for self-drilling sheet metal screws?

I'm talking about the type used in metal buildings. The thread appears to be #12-14.

It would be really handy to be able to use the part sticking through the walls all over the building.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

How about some delrin hex stock, would be self nutting nuts with a simple pilot hole in middle

Comment

I've not ever seen any, but that is a really good idea. We had these all over at one place I worked years ago, not sure why that never occurred to me.

Comment

Like these?
        https://www.wclco.com/threaded-fasteners/stamped-nuts/
        Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
        Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Beware that those sheet metal screws are very brittle. I had a load sticking through some Z purlins that were in the way of wiring conduit, and started nicking them off with an angle grinder, until I found that a slight sideways tap with a hammer would shear them off every time with no need to nick them !

Comment

I'd be hesitant to use a nut made of springy material because the force needed to turn it on might loosen the screw. I was hoping for a nut that would freely spin on to support light loads.

Thanks for the warning about the screws being brittle. I knew they had to be hard enough to drill effectively, but didn't think about them being brittle, too.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Google pal nuts. All styles from flat hex to domed to push on and others...
              Joe

Comment

Speed nuts?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-speed-nuts/=160bkd7
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

This is what I would use. https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-hex-nuts/=160d0ld. Edit, scroll down look at thread forming lock nuts.
                  Last edited by true temper; 01-21-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I would be hesitant to use any kind of nut on those screws. If they protrude inside the building with any thread showing, they are probably only holding two pieces of sheet metal together. If they are into anything structural, then little of the thread would be showing.

I see two problems with this. First, sheet metal will not hold much of a load. So you put up a shelf and then load it up with ??? And then you hear a big crash.

The other one is that when you tighten the nuts you will also be trying to unscrew the screws. They often have a washer or O-ring to seal the outside of the building. So, even if you only loosen it just a bit, you may create a water leak that may not be apparent until the damage (rust?) is already started. The only proper way to use them would be to first remove a number of them over an area. Then have one person hold a board against the wall there on the inside while a second person replaces the screws from the outside. But, frankly I don't even like that.

I would find another way to hang things on those walls.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      First, sheet metal will not hold much of a load.
                      winchman's metal building is one example of stressed skin construction. Automobiles, Airstream trailers, shipping containers, aircraft, boat hulls and so on are some other examples of the technique.

Metal buildings are designed with parameters which enable the building to withstand wind and snow loads well above the static loads imposed by the building's own mass. The OP has not stated what he has in mind, but I'll propose that a shelf with a few paint cans or a hook for a couple of coiled extension cords ought to be within the design limits of his structure. Suspending a mezzanine would be a different matter.
                      Last edited by EddyCurr; 01-21-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X