This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Posts

I know there are some big changes happening in the US and everyone would like to talk about it, but you will have to find somewhere else to do that talking. I spent the weekend babysitting this forum, pulling threads as they popped up and I don’t intend to do the same next weekend.

Now, most of the threads had some reference to the hobby worked into them, but all posters were long time members and knew exactly where things were headed. My tactics have been to delete the threads and then PM the OP to let him know not to repeat. Since that’s become a little too labor intensive and one PM usually leads to multiples, I’m going to let this thread take the place of my notice to the posters.

So, if you post something that has a good possibility of encouraging political discussion, regardless of whether it actually does start discussion, the thread will deleted. Do it a second time and you will be banned from the forum.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Thank you very much.

Steve

Comment

George, I appreciate keeping politics out of the forum as well. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks George! I was quite shocked yesterday to see a thread with a political title and political talk going on. I was thinking it wouldn't last long.
        Andy

Comment

Thanks George.

Comment

Thank you for your hard work here George. It is appreciated.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
                I know there are some big changes happening in the US and everyone would like to talk about it, but you will have to find somewhere else to do that talking. I spent the weekend babysitting this forum, pulling threads as they popped up and I don’t intend to do the same next weekend.

Now, most of the threads had some reference to the hobby worked into them, but all posters were long time members and knew exactly where things were headed. My tactics have been to delete the threads and then PM the OP to let him know not to repeat. Since that’s become a little too labor intensive and one PM usually leads to multiples, I’m going to let this thread take the place of my notice to the posters.

So, if you post something that has a good possibility of encouraging political discussion, regardless of whether it actually does start discussion, the thread will deleted. Do it a second time and you will be banned from the forum.
                Today is Feb 2 2017, Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

It took me a minute Edwin, but good one. I've always loved the concept of that movie.

-Bob

Comment

I had to institute a similar policy in the group I run on Facebook.

Funny it wasn't the American political stuff that blew up but a carbon-tax law in Canada that lead to things getting out of hand. Which is interesting, I thought "people being idiots about politics" was strictly an American sport! (no not really but it caught me off guard because of the amount of vitriol being slung back and forth...)

Comment

Mea culpa.

I sincerely regret not editing my inquiry and meant no offense to anyone so aggrieved.
                      Len

Comment

Good one George !
                        You have enough on your plate and monitoring the kids sandbox should not be necessary when adults are present.
                        OT posts are bad enough

Rich
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Late last night someone posted about macroeconomics and how it explains the impact of protectionist policies. Would that person be so kind as to PM me so I can ask them a question about it? I went to bed before they replied to my question.

Thanks

Dan
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Mr. Bulliss,

Thanks for hosting this terrific forum and allowing people like myself to participate in the extremely informative discourse. Believe me, it IS appreciated. I've been registered for quite a while here, but only recently have become an active participant. So please forgive me if what I’m about to ask is way out of bounds (I do NOT intend it that way).

I certainly understand a general policy of no politics for pretty obvious reasons to anyone who has frequented virtually any internet forum. But I guess my question is, since this is a machining forum with many, if not most, participants who make – or made - a living in the machining and manufacturing industries: is it still completely verboten to discuss the incredible changes to those same industries that will likely be coming in tsunami-like form soon? These changes are obviously linked to our new president. Overseas, there’s a similar dynamic underway with UK’s Brexit and now in Germany, Spain, Italy and throughout Europe (who’s nations also have membership here). There’s no way around the connection between sweeping changes in the specific area of manufacturing and machining and the political and economic policies directly related to it. Recently, it's not just "politics as usual."

It also extends into the future of schooling and educational opportunities for aspiring young machinists. For decades machining in vocational highschools has been gutted in America and elsewhere. In the highschool I went to many years ago, which used to have a booming VOTEC program for machining was long ago discontinued. Our manufacturing base was decimated starting around the time NAFTA was signed into law (although it started earlier than that), which greatly reduced the job opportunities and pay in this career area. An obvious question suddenly exists now that didn’t previously: will that still be the case going forward? Will American and European manufacturing and machining be revitalized? Are we on the cusp of a new era in machining and domestic manufacturing? Will import prices rise, impacting the purchase of foreign machining equipment and supplies? Will domestically manufactured equipment drop in price and increase in availability? Those subjects, which are the soup du jour of this forum, simply cannot be reasonably discussed without also talking about the 800lb Gorilla in the room.

And maybe these subjects are off limits no matter what – not challenging the admin and how he wants to run his site. Totally your call and I’m good with it either way. But before I read this post I was honestly going to post a thread asking about the future of machining and manufacturing because of these earth shaking political/economic changes sweeping the west. And although I’m not a young person looking into starting a career as a machinist, recent events could change the whole dynamic as to whether that’s a good idea or not. Just thought I’d ask for a bit more clarity on what’s acceptable to discuss, again respecting your call completely whatever it is.

Thanks…

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                              But before I read this post I was honestly going to post a thread asking about the future of machining and manufacturing because of these earth shaking political/economic changes sweeping the west.
                              Well then, I'm glad you read this post

I'm not going to argue that politics won't have an affect on machining in the home shop. However, it's only speculation at this point so any discussion will no doubt turn political in a hurry. Political discussions have a negative impact on this board and drive people away by the hundreds. Since these people are potential Village Press customers, it's not really what we are going for with this board.

There are plenty of other places to discuss this stuff, but it won't be here. This board is intended for the discussion of hobby metalworking. I allow a wide range of off-topic subjects to be discussed and moderate with an extremely light hand, but subjects that threaten the bulletin board must be dealt with.
                              George
                              Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                              X