What do you do with your chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with your chips?

I'm amassing alot of nice shiny aluminum chips. I'm not really into home foundry stuff...Yet. So besides melting them down myself or trashing 'em, is there anything cool to do with aluminum chips and waste?

I do not know of anything "cool" to do with chips. Here may be a few ideas I have seen done by my students.

1. Tinsel for the classroom christmas tree from the stringy Aluminum chips. Problem is, a sign that says "do not touch the sharp chips" was in place.

One student had a great idea with old chips. He got a few clear soda bottles - glass, and some decorative bottles. he filled them up with chips of different materials - in layers. Also in individual materials bottles and such. Our class actually got into this and kept chips seperate by material and color. he sold these at flea markets for a couple of years.... Made money. I really liked the "blue chip" bottles - blue steel chips from milling. Have one of blue, brass, and alum on my desk.

However, chip disposal is a problem we all face. I put the chips from the school shop in barrels - 5 gal buckets will do for the home shop. Each barrel of bucket seperate for different materials chips such as Aluminum, Brass, Stainless, and "junk" (plain steel), and even "mixed" chips. I also do the same for solids. I take them to the recycler on a normal basis - almost all towns must have a recycling for profit facility nearby- and use the procedes to buy some little things for the shop. I put out probably one 55 gal drum of alum., a five gal bucket of brass, and probably 6 5 gal buckets of steel and mixed each quarter, and one 5 gal bucket of solid alum, one of brass, and three of steel each quarter, get about $60.00 for my efforts. This is also part of the ed. process as recycling is a MUST in larger shops.

The home shop will of course be less, but you can still make a bit of coin, and do not have to worry about this process. For my home shop I take my chips to school.

Maybe you can talk a local shop into taking your chips.
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

Thermite! Aluminum plus iron oxide powder plus a hot igniter (magnesium?) equals molten iron plus aluminum oxide slag plus really extravagant quantities of surplus heat.

I've never done this. Post your results.

Comment

Chips? Salsa and beer of course.
        Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Eaten a few chips in the past. They go down fine but coming out is a bit painful.

Comment

C. Tate:

Ouch! Wrong kind 'o fiber, bro!. Gotta be easier to digest than "Grape Nuts" - I call them "Gravel in a box - just add milk"

ABN

Keep them separated if you can and take them to the scrap yard for recycling when you have a healthy load - then you can pick some more project material up.

All of the shops up here recycle - we all should.

Comment

Working...
            X