Craftsman Commercial Lathe: 101.28990?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    That would be because it is a 10" Logan!
    I know, but let's continue on about it in the aborted Craftsman thread.

91 posts and counting.

Comment

Dandy lathe It's not new but it will do a fine job. Looks like a pretty long bed which opens up many things you can do with her.
      Good luck.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
        I know, but let's continue on about it in the aborted Craftsman thread.

91 posts and counting.
        My bad. Guess I shoulda started a "Logan 816" thread about 30 posts ago. Looking for the red-faced embarassed emoticon.

Of course there was also that tangent on benders that added a few posts to the count.
        Last edited by ACHiPo; 02-19-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sewingmachine View Post
          Dandy lathe It's not new but it will do a fine job. Looks like a pretty long bed which opens up many things you can do with her.
          Good luck.

Dave
          Thanks! Trying to decide what to do first once she's cleaned and lubed.

Comment

Originally posted by ACHiPo View Post
            .....Trying to decide what to do first once she's cleaned and lubed.
            A few obvious options are tooling and accessories to use on your Logan. Based on how often I use mine I'd suggest that a couple of tail stock threading die holders would be one project well worth doing.

Another would be some form of boring bar holder setup. As nice and interesting as that inclined seating tool post is it's no good for boring bars. So some sort of option for a holding block that accepts home made boring bars would be nice. If you do not opt for some commercial QCTP setup you can make your own right in the machine. My own is shown in the following picture. The two bars are shown in place but normally it is only used with one at a time. The sizes are 1" and 5/8".

And let's not forget some easy to use way of setting up a dial gauge with a support that ends with a "tool shank" that can be held in the tool post easily to use with a four jaw or for otherwise indicating runout of parts held in the chucks.

Then there's bed stops and depth travel measurements and so many other options.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ACHiPo View Post
              My bad.
              It happens.

So, what now? Clean break? Or will this become the secret Logan acquisition, rebuild, option up and eventual sale thread?

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                It happens.

So, what now? Clean break? Or will this become the secret Logan acquisition, rebuild, option up and eventual sale thread?
                Movin' on...
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...38#post1101038

Comment

Great thread, evolving from the Craftsman to the Logan. My early version Craftsman 12x36 was a good lathe! had the 3/8 ways, no qc gearbox, 1/2 hp orig craftsman motor on the rear of the lathe. I ran the heck out of that lathe! It was the closest to running lathe I owned out of 7 lathes so it got set up and used. The Timken bearings are nice! What I really liked about it is is that 12x36 capacity. Have a Logan 200 bought not running all clean and apart, a Logan 825, same story, a Logan 922 same story converting to under drive. A Taiwan 10x24 all clean and apart, so no running lathe. Just picked up another 12x36 Craftsman Commercial with qc gearbox and under drive, its a nice lathe! this one is painted over, and has seen some wear for sure but it's not bad and I can get it running to help restore the others. It takes a lathe to restore a lathe. Even with all the wonderful Logans currently in restoration process, the Craftsman 12x36 is, plain, simple, substantial, well made, functional, and a nice all around lathe, even larger capacity than any of the the other lathes. Very interesting comparing them all together. What the heck will I do with 4 dog gone lathes!

Comment

Don't know if you found a lathe yet or not. Buy a lathe that is targeted for what you want to do. You can do little work in a big lathe, but you can't do big work in a little lathe. Things that are important are head stock through hole size. The Craftsman has a small spindle hole, and a small spindle. I am modifying my 12" Craftsman Commercial to accept a large bore spindle with a 5c collet closer. I am using a South Bend 10" heavy spindle. This change should make this lathe very useful lathe. I am also making the head stock adjustable so I can take the taper out of the lathe when leveling the bed doesn't do the job. There are better lathes you can buy, but for the home shop, these are great. On any lathe, you need to learn how to use it, how to set it up properly, adjust the gibs, bearings, etc. I will also be using a VFD and 1hp motor. If you want to dink around at home, it is a good lathe for that. If you want to do heavier accurate work, buy a heavier accurate lathe. Hacksaw said that.

Comment

Working...
                    X