Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese elect motor help

I picked up a 3ph motor today.
    My intention is to use it to make another RPC.
    I only have 220 single phase into my shop.
    It was used on a piece of indl equip made in China. I don't understand all I read on the attached plate, so I need some help.
    The 1st thing is that it's stated 380V.
    Next is 1440 rpm
    50hz
    11.7A
    5.5KW.
    The kid that gave it to me said it runs and the equip was being scrapped, he doesn't know any more than that.
    I got the control box that the motor was still wired into. They just had a twist lock plug that would insert into a standard receptacle, inside the box are a start, stop, on/off switches and a terminal block and what looks like a circuit breaker for the 3 phases.
    I was thinking there might be a step up transformer in there but there isn't.
    What would happen with running this on 220V and 60HZ.
    And what does 5.5KV mean?
    I know show us some pics, which I have on my phone with no idea of how to get them to someplace I can use them!!!!
    Tomorrow I'll take a camera out and get some pics I know how to transfer to my computer.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

5.5 kW as in watts motor power. about 7.3 HP

The 380 is the "delta" voltage for the 3 phase, which is the same as 220V "wye". European power.

I don't think it will make a particularly good RPC, unless you assume it is really lower power. I think it may work reasonably well as about a 3-4 HP RPC equivalent at 240V. it will run faster than 1440, a bit over 1700 rpm, most likely, on the 60 Hz here.
    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer.
      I think I'll go ahead and make a RPC out of it.
      I think the largest HP motor I am using, at this time, is a 3 on a 16" SB lathe
      Everything else is 1 and 2 HP.
      Thanks again.
      I'll get started on this tomorrow!!!

THANX RICH
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

I make no guarantees.

It may work. or it may be pretty slow getting the load motor started. For that matter, I'd expect it to start a bit slow itself.

The fact that it is a chinese motor is against it. Even the chinese admit their motors are often not good.

Comment

380V at 50 Hz is equivalent to 456V at 60 Hz (for a constant V/Hz). I don't think it will run on 240V. You might be able to use a 3-5 kVA 220:220 isolation transformer as a step-up autotransformer rated 6-10 kVA.

This should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Power-Tra...w/141512492222
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Half voltage it will run on. At least it should spin, and come up to speed. Slip will be larger than normal.

But it might act as weak as even a 1.5HP RPC.... It will have a higher series impedance to begin with, to which has to be added the 60 Hz issue.

Comment

Since I started this thread I've found out who the person is that installed the machine, and removed it. In fact he is the gut that told the young fellow that gave it to me that he should ask me if I had a use for the motor.
              I'll get in touch with him and find out what they had for power.

THANX RICH

Comment

If it's a non-usa pattern motor, open the connector box on the motor and see what's in there - if there are 6 terminals, three linked and three with the phase wires it's wired star (wye) and you can swing the links to wire it delta for 220v, although it may already be in delta and in star it will need 600v +...

Dave H. (the other one)
                Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

I pulled the cover, inside the are 6 terminals on a block W2-U2-V2
                  on one side and U1-V1-W1 on the other side with the wire from the control box attached to U1=V1-W1 there is also a ground wire attached to a ground stud.
                  The terminal block also has W U V and the wires are hooked to the designated positions.
                  I also talked to the guy that installed and removed the motor but all he remembers is installing this and a couple of Italian spray booths and having trouble getting both of them interpreted. So not much help there.
                  Right now I think I'm going to hook it up on 220 and see what happens. I won't be out anything but my time.

THANX RICH

Comment

Working...
                  X