turning discontinuous work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning discontinuous work

I would like to modify a motorcycle cush drive for a custom wheel swap...I need to cut down the drive dogs. Obviously a mill would be best, but mine is not running yet.

Can I turn this in the lathe? Each drive dog is going to strike the tool, and I'm worried that this will damage the tool or my machine.

The machine is a Southbend 10" using 1/4" tooling...far from the ultimate in rigidity...would this be considered abuse? The material is aluminum (cast I'm pretty sure).

I hope I'm clear describing the problem...if not, consider a square and each corner smacking the tool as the work turns. Only in this case there are five drive dogs arranged symmetrically around about a 5 inch diameter circle so my tool will be smacked five times per rev as I face the dogs down to proper length.

Thanks for your time and help.

HSS Tooling works well for this. Small starting cuts. HSS is good for intermittent cuts where carbide will break immediately.

Also watch the overhang on your compound rest. This is a major factor in intermittent work cutting. Imagine a diving board being bounced each time the work hits the tool. No overhang, in fact back it off a bit to put the tool more over the pivot.

Larger nose radius on the HSS tool to start - say 1/32 inch or more. Also neutral rake as positive will catch. I have actually taken a neutral grind thread tool, and have put as much as a .050 rad tip on it or better for this stuff.

I have to do stuff like this too much, this is what has worked best for me.
    CCBW, MAH

Comment

ABN
      For home use use HSS or T-15 on interrupted cuts.

SP

Generally I would concur with not using carbide - in particular the brazed tools and low technology inserts. But I just wanted to remind you - with all due respect - that some truly incredible tools exist today that were non-existant a few years ago. Even Cermets have better IC capabilities due to the use of Silicon Nitride "whiskers" as reinforcements - much like the glass fibre or cloth in fibreglass composites. It is expected that a super tough carbide grade specifically for interupted cuts will be out in the next few years - test show this stuff to be almost as tough as T-15 and it will be aimed at the home market as a replacement for HSS.

It is indeed facinating to watch one discovery in technology ripple through all the others - we live in interesting times.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-21-2002).]

Comment

Working...
      X