Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing, beautiful, relaxing video for the true craftsman in you. Enjoy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing, beautiful, relaxing video for the true craftsman in you. Enjoy!

I took my tax stuff in yesterday afternoon and my accountant, who is also a dear friend, began asking me about my home shop and the business I used to run. She then told me about her Ex who she remains close to as a friend, and sent me a video about his shop and work. I just watched this video and knew immediately that you guys would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Ly6pUQdAE

The man who works with his hands is a laborer.
    The man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.
    But the man who works with his hands, his brain, and his heart is an artist.

Very good video. Thank you.

Does anybody know what adhesive and accelerator he uses? I've never used such combo, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to see a German product like this.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

That was cool thanks for posting - some beautiful work for sure.

Comment

Another thanks for posting. Absolutely stunning craftsmanship. The man definitely knows the medium he's working with.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
          Very good video. Thank you.

Does anybody know what adhesive and accelerator he uses? I've never used such combo, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to see a German product like this.
          He said right in the video that it was CA glue. From my model airplane building I can see that he's using a thicker "gap filling" version that doesn't run. From the look of the dispenser bottle he used he's buying it in larger bulk containers and dispensing it into a handier to use bottle.

Pretty much all the companies that sell CA also sell a companion accelerator. I don't know which brand name is signified by the white and blue can. But the larger size of the can and the lot number information on it suggests a more commercial line such as Loctite's industrial adhesive lineup. The size of that can of accelerator would also support the idea that he buys his CA glue in larger containers such as would come in that sort of line.

For the most part CA is CA and the accelerator is pretty standard as well. If you only want a little of it you can find the thicker formula and the accelerator in smaller size pump spray bottles at any hobby shop and probably most hardware stores.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Thank you BCRider.

Yes, I understand this is a CA glue. However, CA glues are not equal. Setting time and, as you mentioned, consistency vary greatly. My question was about this particular glue or similar ones: their names is what I want to know. They must allow ample working time (unlike Crazy Glue or other instant bond CAs) and proper consistency.

But thank you anyway.

Mike
            Last edited by MichaelP; 02-11-2017, 12:51 PM.
            Mike
            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              The man definitely knows the medium he's working with.
              But, he certainly could use some pointers on band saw safety - sheesh!
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

Great video, Thank you
                I even had my wife looking over my shoulder, she is an artist of a different sort.
                We have a house full of beautiful paintings.
                Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

I was more curious about the 'super glue' that he applies with the bottle and smooths with his finger? My experience w super glue and fingers does not mirror his experience
                  "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
                    I was more curious about the 'super glue' that he applies with the bottle and smooths with his finger? My experience w super glue and fingers does not mirror his experience

True. I noticed it too.
                    Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Glad you guys liked it.

Here is his website address. I was surprised by how much he got for these bowls, but after a bit of reflection .... I wasn't.

http://www.jimmcphail.com/

Comment

Great. Thank you DATo. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Mr.McFail.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

There is a product called 2P-10 by FastCap that we use that will do that. Great stuff. Cheap too when to figure in the quantity you can get if you compare it to buying CA in little tubes.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'll check on it. Thank you for the pointer, Darryl.
                            Mike
                            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

That was great, thanks for posting it.

I would like to know where he gets all his exotic wood from????

Also that watered down super glue that he spread over the bowl while it was spinning. It makes like a plastic film finish.

I didn't see him use any Elmers wood working glue. Also did he have different colored glues??

Side note........... I wonder if he wears a dust mask when not on camera. Breathing in the dust from some of those hard woods is not healthy.

JL..............
                              Last edited by JoeLee; 02-11-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X