No announcement yet.

Oroville Dam disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amount of water in concrete is fairly important but adjusting the water does affect the "slump", normally specified, low slumps are generally pumping, self levelling or self compacting, high slumps need vibration most high strength concrete contains chopped glass reinforcing fibre, doesn't take much suprisingly, concrete is a science of its own, oh and it's designed to give you a bad back, I've decided that concrete is a punishment
    Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by boslab View Post
      The amount of water in concrete is fairly important but adjusting the water does affect the "slump", normally specified, low slumps are generally pumping, self levelling or self compacting, high slumps need vibration most high strength concrete contains chopped glass reinforcing fibre, doesn't take much suprisingly, concrete is a science of its own, oh and it's designed to give you a bad back, I've decided that concrete is a punishment
      Mark
      Yep! I did concrete for half of a summer in my late teens, that was enough for me

Comment

• There is a new report that has a few opinions in it.

Comment

• The state awarded the $275 million job to the lowest bidder, Kiewit Infrastructure West Co., this past April.

Too much to expect that the lowest bidder also offered to best solution I suppose?
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• You get what you pay for. The new part will probably collapse long before it should.
            Kansas City area

Comment

• I'm far from being able to say that I am qualified to say what constitutes a proper repair to the spillway. However it is an engineering marvel given the scope of the project and the time frame and the logistics involved.

Much has been learned from past mistakes and the engineering strategies today combined with new fabrication techniques and materials will undoubtedly result in a vastly improved product compared to the one it replaces.

I have been very intrigued with this project and have followed the progress of the spillway's rehabilitation since it's inception.

Between the California DWR videos and the very well presented and thoroughly researched videos uploaded by Juan Browne there is some very interesting insight given on the complexities of the project.
              If modern large scale engineering projects and the technologies involved interest you then you owe it to yourself to take some time to view Juan Brown's excellent series on this project.

I'll include a link below to the Oroville Dam spillway reconstruction as presented by Juan Browne.
              Some very interesting no B.S. and factual video.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=C...le+dam+youtube
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                You get what you pay for. The new part will probably collapse long before it should.
                This could not be farther from the truth. You should go to youtube and watch some videos that show the old construction vs the new. The old spillway was a pos, the new one is WAY overkill.

Best yt channel for Oroville info is https://www.youtube.com/user/blancolirio/videos

Comment

• Looks like Willy not only got the holeshot on me, he also had a better post. Where is that like button.

Comment

• Looks like phase 1 of the Oroville Dam spillway restoration project is complete and on schedule. Having followed this project since it's inception I can't begin to describe how impressed I am given the scope and magnitude of the project.

As an example the main chasm/gorge carved out of the spillway when it failed has been filled with roller compacted concrete to a depth of over 150 feet. The whole project is nothing short of amazing given how much has been accomplished in only about 6 months.
                    The number of accident free hours involved and the logistics involved truly deserves a tip of the hat for a job well done.
                    Amazing how much can be accomplished in a short time when all of the BS and red tape is cut. Gotta love that Yankee get 'er done style.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• I think there was just an article in the local paper noting that a full scale review of the project is being put under way, to make sure that it does not happen again.
                      4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Juan Brown has been doing a great job keeping up to date on the progress ( blancolirio )

Comment

• This happened three weeks after I moved here was a nice lake in my back yard, luckily my place is on the lake not below it. Seemed like a zoo up here during the evacuation people camping everywhere.
                          They are keeping it very low now ,the hydroelectric plant is wide open as they don't want to use the unfinished spillway this year. Hopefully we have a lake again someday/year all the houseboats are almost stacked on top of each other. I know a bunch of the workers on the repair they tell me there useing lots of US. rebar and special concrete it will be the strongest spillway in the country and they are evaluating the actual dam.
                          On another note the fires in the area, cal fire can't use water from what's left of the lake to put them out as the water is owned by southern cali , no helicopter buckets.

Comment

Working...
                          X