• Show
Clear All

Better get flying then!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
      Better get flying then!
      So much for going home

Comment

The price you pay till you hit the top rung on the ladder. I have a friend that now flys wide body's to Hawaii & back once a week. He used to fly to Japan & told me about a farmer with about an acre between the runway & taxiway that didn't want to move & they respected his land rights so there he is. Think I would have moved. He could have retired several years ago but is stuffing the nest egg but says it used to be way more fun a few years ago & his only saving grace is he can leave when he decides too.

Comment

Anecdote: The local Med Flight helicopter service based at my field depart and approach on the taxiways all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
            Anecdote: The local Med Flight helicopter service based at my field depart and approach on the taxiways all the time.
            Ever see a helicopter hover taxi? It's a different world with them

Comment

Hot air balloons that are just over the center of the runway waiting for wind like they own the airport are a blast too.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
                Where I'm based we have a very active helicopter school.
                They almost always depart and land on the taxiways on on the grass alongside the runways.
                Sometimes from the ramp.
                Helios are different and even have different rules.
                Bill
                I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

In this part of the woods it is common for lighter aircraft to land on the grass beside the runway. Many are equipped with "Tundra Tires" for landing on soft ground. Landing on the runway wears the tires in a hurry. This is mostly the case further north but they also operate down here. There are still a lot of unpaved landing fields in BC and further north that is usually the case. Paved runways break up too easily in the freeze/thaw cycles that can go deep into the ground. Even in Williams Lake the runway pavement/concrete is more than two feet thick.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

But it is only about 1.5 miles from an almost identical but longer runway and about 5 miles from Tyndall AFB
                    Been there, done that.
                    Tower; "Luscombe 45594, what is your position?" Me; "On final, you said cleared to land didn't you?"

Yep, a different airport several miles away. Does make one feel silly. I don't think I was on final though, it was downwind and they hadn't identified me by eye yet.

Comment

I've told this before;

A relative was taking flying instruction. I was allowed to ride along. After an hour of practicing maneuvers we headed back to Glendale Airport. The instructor had Gary weaving back and forth, taking various headings. At about 2 miles or so out, he told Gary to take over and land. Gary dutifully lined up on the runway that was dead ahead. Ivan asked "which one are you landing one, left or right?"

Glendale, 3 miles to our south east only has one runway.

I thought it was mean to do that to Gary with me in the back, but we just laughed about it and never spoke of it again.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X