OT: sort of - missing socks and rulers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: sort of - missing socks and rulers

Any of you that are married have a bunch of single socks, the other half of the pair is missing. We also know that this our wives doing, they just like to mess with us.

I have several 6" rulers in the shop, can't find most of them. My wife doesn't go into the shop as far as I know, can't blame her for this. So where did all the rulers go to. I have one that I really like, fractional and tenths. It disappeared for several days and I had to use another less useful one. A couple of days ago I found it just sitting there, taunting me but I was glad to have it back. Now I can't find the one I was using instead. Where do they go and how do the get back. Is there some sort of quantum dimension that these thing disappear into and then pop back into ours.

Maybe there really are gremlins at work.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Try looking for your snap-on 12mm shallow well socket for about three months - turning your entire shop upside down several times,,, and everytime thinking "no way I cave in cuz the second I buy a new one then I will find the old one"

that's how you chalk up three months to begin with - then finally cave,,, buy a new one - and find the old one in the shop you spent hours and hours searching for and in a spot you remember covering with a fine tooth comb...

it's not the women - I had one where I could say "hun you know where the" and before I could finish the sentence she had already picked up on what I was looking for just by what I was working on and tell me where "it" was...

Comment

You can know the object's location or it's motion, not both at the same time. So if you can't locate the object stop thinking about it's motion and it will reappear.

Best way to prevent objects from accelerating into oblivion like this is to glue everything down to the workbench.

Comment

My wife used to have a boss named Heidi. My wife is really good at locating lost things, usually within 30 seconds of entering the room. Her boss was equally good at misplacing them. I threatened to re-name my wife to "Findi". One of her friends does sometimes call her that.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

The solution to the sock issue it to buy all of the socks of the same style and color and of sufficient quantity for at least 3 weeks. That way you always have a matching pair of socks and when you end up with an odd sock, the mate obviously was worn out and discarded. I also think the washer and drier have more to do with the missing socks as they seem to eat them. Lot better to blame the machines than SWMBO. Keeps domestic harmony better.

As to the ruler and other shop equipment, I always blame the night shift. They will loose whatever they do not break.

rsal

Comment

Last week I looked behind the dryer and found several socks that I had never seen before. Are they yours?

Comment

When you do find your rulers they will all be approximately in the same place.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

"Last week I looked behind the dryer and found several socks that I had never seen before. Are they yours?"

boy I hope not or you two have allot of explaining to do...

Comment

I always used to blame the night shift too. Then it occurred to me that I am the day shift and the night shift. In the end, not all that helpful. Then I realized the big companies have it figured out. Each shift blames the other for any and all problems, so there is always someone else to blame. Now I can be mad at the night shift during the day (and I am innocent of course) and blame the day shift at night (it's always the other guy's fault). Problem solved. I can go through the entire day guilt free, and somehow everything works out OK.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

TG don't really know if you would call that an identity crises or a personality disorder, but either way get some help, and if it's good help please give me their card...

Comment

As for the socks pin them together on a large safety pin, you can get 3 or 4 pair on a pin. If you wear diabetic socks, they will work their way into the pin spring and head, a small 4 whole shirt button on the pin before the socks and one after the socks solves this problem.
                      As for losing things I have a place I put things so I can find them, problem is I can’t remember where the place is. One day a will put something there and find everything I have lost.

Comment

I'm convinced that there's a black hole under my workbench that's related to the one in my washer and dryer, but it eats small tools and parts rather than socks!
                        David Kaiser
                        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

lost a Leatherman 5 years back. walked into the living room a year ago and it's sitting on the living room floor with an eighth of an inch of dust on it. where my feet were one minute before when I got up for coffee.

socks: only black Hanes. you got two socks, you got one pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Max McGrumpy View Post
                            You can know the object's location or it's motion, not both at the same time. So if you can't locate the object stop thinking about it's motion and it will reappear.
                            :-) Yea, You and Heisenberg. :-)
                            ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              Is there some sort of quantum dimension that these thing disappear into and then pop back into ours.

Maybe there really are gremlins at work.

freaking me out thinking about this now,,, did you double check and make sure the socks don't have some kind of measuring scale on them and the rulers are not "stretchy"

Comment

Working...
                              X