OT: Warning... <rant> eBay is a joke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Warning... <rant> eBay is a joke.

First time for me on this one. I saw a tool on ebay a few days ago that I wanted and have been watching it ever since. It had one bid on it which was at the starting bid of 99 cents. Right before the auction ended I put in my bid and won it for $3.25 plus $9.75 shipping. I paid for it immediately through PayPal.

An hour and a half later I get an email from eBay saying the seller had canceled the auction AFTER I won it. The seller was obviously unhappy with the winning bid and expected to get a lot more. Too bad, so sad, nothing you can do about it. How is it they let these ******* people get away with this???? And why can't you do anything to get them thrown off of fleabay?

To say I'm unhappy about it as well is one heck of an understatement.

I think that kind of thing violates breach of contract laws. You winning the bid creates a contract especially since you paid immediately. I wonder what the Ebay seller rules are because they should put a stop to it as it will hurt their business eventually.

Comment

You don't understand. If the seller would have been forced to go through with the deal, he would have gotten his feelings hurt. Sheesh!
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

The seller should've set up a reserve auction of he really wanted a certain amount of out the tool. I'd write eBay a nasty note about your experience and probably leave the seller negative feedback as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think if the seller cancels, you can still leave feedback for them. A nice nasty negative is in order.

Comment

Highpower: I got a bone to pick. It's the seller not ebay. You say so yourself in the body of your post. However, your subject line targets eBay as a "joke" as though eBay was causing a problem. Ebay is just a place to post auction notices. They have rules etc but have imperfect means of enforcement. Your shifty seller is the rightful target for your wrath.

Comment

I'd bet the farm you won't be able to leave feedback.
              Ebay is like life. Sometimes the hammer, sometimes the nail. Not always fair. It's Ebay's rules.. don't like em, don't play. Everyone gets burned now and then...it still pays off for me.. but aholes are lurking. Keep up the good fight.

Comment

ebay is like life, you're dealing with people.
                The seller should have honoured the deal but will have declared the item lost, damaged or otherwise no longer suitable or available for sale to satisfy the system rules.
                If you are so unhappy with one seller simply stop using ebay and leave it to those who are predominantly very happy with what it allows them to buy from a worldwide market, I found a box of a rare and very useful carbide insert from a German seller and a drip oiler from China this week ;-)
                If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Man id be PO'ed too that's a heartbreaker to think u got something and then he re-negs on the deal

Yes first place would be to immediately check if I could leave nasty feedback - that's the only tool of justice you have - if I could not do that I might create a new account just to get to him somehow, what a worm.

Comment

Meh, I cancelled a "buy it now" sale on a guy a few years ago. Apparently he didn't understand what "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" means.
                    And I've had auctions I've won cancelled on me. As long as I get my money back, I don't care. I'll just buy my crap from someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
                      ebay is like life, you're dealing with people.
                      The seller should have honoured the deal but will have declared the item lost, damaged or otherwise no longer suitable or available for sale to satisfy the system rules.
                      If you are so unhappy with one seller simply stop using ebay and leave it to those who are predominantly very happy with what it allows them to buy from a worldwide market, I found a box of a rare and very useful carbide insert from a German seller and a drip oiler from China this week ;-)
                      Yep, it is 100% the O.P's fault. Nothing to do with ebay at all.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Looks like you'll have to skip that latte tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                          Highpower: I got a bone to pick. It's the seller not ebay. You say so yourself in the body of your post. However, your subject line targets eBay as a "joke" as though eBay was causing a problem. Ebay is just a place to post auction notices. They have rules etc but have imperfect means of enforcement. Your shifty seller is the rightful target for your wrath.
                          I hear what you are saying Forrest, but I believe my disgust is directed appropriately. Them's the ones that made thems rules - and turn around and refuse to even try to enforce them. The first thing that crossed my mind was what if the shoe was on the other foot? What would have happened if I had run the bidding up to $5000 and won the auction, and then decided I didn't want to pay that much after all? Would ebay have allowed me to cancel my bid(s) after the auction ended? Would they simply turn their backs and do nothing to MY account if I refused to pay? Not a snowballs chance in hell.... guaranteed. THAT is what ticks me off more than anything - not the sorry sod that tried to cheat ebay by cutting his listing fees with a low starting bid, and thinking he was going to hit gold at the other end of the rainbow. Between the seller and ebay it seems the low-life seller is the only one that has a pair.

And yes I just barely got my feedback in minutes before ebay deleted the whole listing and acted like it never existed. (I learned to save screen shots of all transactions online long ago...) Unfortunately leaving bad feedback still won't get me the item I coveted and thought I finally got my hands on.

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
                            Meh, I cancelled a "buy it now" sale on a guy a few years ago. Apparently he didn't understand what "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" means.
                            And I've had auctions I've won cancelled on me. As long as I get my money back, I don't care. I'll just buy my crap from someone else.
                            Letting the BS blow in the breeze... good skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
                              As long as I get my money back, I don't care. I'll just buy my crap from someone else.
                              Yeah. Too bad it'll be $500 more than the first one you didn't get.....

Comment

Working...
                              X