OT: Warning... <rant> eBay is a joke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
    the o.p. was really screwed in this case.
    You mean he didn't get his money back?
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

No no .. I'm sure he did. And I understand your view of life and ebay. But .. I can't believe that even you believes
      that what happened was "just". Yea .. move on etc .. but .. he was screwed.
      John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
        having a big fat whinge will change nothing,
        That is where you are wrong my friend. Getting it out of my system has greatly improved my well being. Bottling it up and letting it eat away at you just makes you a miserable human being. The title of the thread CLEARLY describes the content. Apparently that wasn't enough of a clue but I digress.

Willy: As someone else mentioned there are legitimate reasons sometimes for sellers canceling an auction (or placing a bid for buyers) but like you say ebay only allows you so many strikes. The problem there is the other party never gets to hear what that reason is/was.

As I said at the start this is the first time I have had to experience this particular situation. I have also had the shoe on the other foot when I was new to ebay. I put an item up for sale and fouled up something in the listing (don't remember what it was). For reasons unknown it didn't get much attention. Like everyone else I started with a low price to attract interest and the auction ended at an amount that was WAY under what I had originally paid for it. I shipped it off to the new owner the same day and never looked back. No crying about what it sold for, and no attempt to weasel out of the deal. My mistake so my problem. And by golly I slept like a baby.

In this case the sellers item was up for a week with one 99 cent bid on it the entire time. The guy could have canceled the auction 5 minutes before it ended if he wasn't happy with the bidding. But he/she decided to let come to term and then cry foul. And I can tell you WHY it went down that way. They had NO pictures of the item. Just a description that says works good. Against my better judgement about this "pig in a poke" I actually put in a decent bid. No wasting time trying to ask questions that would never get answered, I just put in the highest amount of money I was willing to lose by rolling the dice. The other person bidding did the same but had a max bid of $3 so I "won" (ha-ha) the thing for $3.25 and instantly knew what was going to happen, and it did.

And getting stones thrown my way for letting it out? Yup, knew that was going to happen too.
        Just call me the honey badger.... lol.

Comment

slightly veering off course - buy it now / best offer- item for sale, lets say $21.99, I make an offer of $20.00 they counter offer $21.50 or the original price. Why put best offer when they apparently aren't willing to take less ?
          bmw

Comment

Originally posted by bmw625 View Post
            slightly veering off course - buy it now / best offer- item for sale, lets say $21.99, I make an offer of $20.00 they counter offer $21.50 or the original price. Why put best offer when they apparently aren't willing to take less ?
            bmw
            One of life's great mysteries.... above my pay grade. I often submit fairly low best offers and have had good luck..nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post

And getting stones thrown my way for letting it out? Yup, knew that was going to happen too.
              Just call me the honey badger.... lol.
              Ok, I'm a little confused here.

After all this happened, did you open a formal complaint with eBay's customer service and what was their response?

Steve
              PS - I've done several hundred transactions on eBay both as buyer and seller with only two problems that were pretty easily resolved.

Comment

I have little faith in eBay's customer service staff. I reported two listings to them using the appropriate link. One was for used lever arch files. They were $4 each plus $1,000 shipping (same state). The other was for the contents of a metalworking shop. The photos showed lathes, mills, etc. But the listing was for "one piece of scrap metal" with a phone number to contact the seller if you wanted to buy the other stuff. Both were reported, neither were pulled down or changed. So now I don't bother reporting the scam listings or the ones trying to rip eBay off. If they don't care, then why should I?

Comment

Be warned that Ebay & Ebay motors are different with much different rules & attitudes I was told. I bought a 5 ton military machine shop from a car dealer north of Chicago & the service dept took all the tools & equip except the Emco lathe & generator after the pics were taken. The owner promised all the items would be put back but never were. It showed the equipment list in the ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
                    That's exactly what I didn't say, .....
                    Maybe...

This forum has turned into a place where folks posting a rant about stuff like this have it turned around and made 100% their own fault. It was "wrong" for me to expect a shoe store to find out what size my feet are.... it was "wrong" (not just your comment, but others) for HP to expect that epay would enforce their own rules, it has been "wrong" for some other folks to expect similar things.....

I expect the OP is not upset about a few bucks, the issue is that here is a case of selective enforcement. If it were a high dollar item they'd be all over the case because they were losing more than a few cents.

What epay is missing here is the fact that it's the little stuff folks notice, and which makes epay lose credibility. Look at this thread.... it would not exist if someone did not flout the rules and dare epay to do anything about it.... and they WON that bet, epay did not do anything, rules or no rules.

If you "don't enforce speeding and littering laws because you have murders to investigate"..... well odds are you will have more murders TO investigate. Epay will get to where it is "wrong" to expect the seller to actually ship the goods after you pay him......
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Maybe...

If you "don't enforce speeding and littering laws because you have murders to investigate"..... well odds are you will have more murders TO investigate. Epay will get to where it is "wrong" to expect the seller to actually ship the goods after you pay him......
                      Exactly. If you don't enforce all rules then all rules tend to get ignored. SO! If you have no intention of enforcing a "law" it should be repealed.
                      ...lew...

Comment

Clearly Highpower is feeling grieved; also adding insult to injury there is loss off the "you suck" that could have been.

Norman

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                          Ok, I'm a little confused here.

After all this happened, did you open a formal complaint with eBay's customer service and what was their response?

Steve
                          Steve, eBay decided that it was OK for the seller to cancel the transaction and notified me of the same an hour and a half after the auction had completed. PayPal had already collected the money from my bank account. It will take them several more days before they refund my "purchase."
                          I just got in under the wire and left my feedback to the seller before eBay had deleted all signs of the auction from my "My eBay" page. It's gone. They made it clear they don't want to hear anything else about it. I get it.

If the seller would have just contacted me and said "Hey, I screwed up and didn't set the real price I wanted" I am certain we could have worked out a deal. But no - he went the other route. End of story.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          Maybe...

I expect the OP is not upset about a few bucks, the issue is that here is a case of selective enforcement.
                          Jerry, can I hire you as a personal translator here? You do a much better job at getting down to the point in far fewer words than I do.

Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
                          Clearly Highpower is feeling grieved; also adding insult to injury there is loss off the "you suck" that could have been.

Norman
                          Blast you Norman! You let my secret out!!!

Instead I've reserved myself to just saving my pennies and ponying up for a new tool with a factory warranty instead of hoping to score a good used one at the world-wide garage sale. Or maybe a "books on tape" copy of TOT's diary.... Seriously! I'd buy a heck of a lot more books just to hear him narrate them.
                          Last edited by Highpower; 02-26-2017, 04:10 PM. Reason: can't spell among other problems...

Comment

It turns out the item actually ships from Hong Kong and is not located in Germany. So I am still waiting for my item after two weeks when if it was located in Germany I would have it in three days max.
                            I sent something to a guy in Slovenia and it took 45 days, seems US customs can hold an item for 45 days if it wants to.
                            The OP should complain to ebay, as others have said, make a complaint, at the least you should get your money back.

Comment

xxx
                              Last edited by ulav8r; 02-26-2017, 10:32 PM.
                              North Central Arkansas

Comment

Quite disappointing also to see how Ebay is not even trying with counterfeits.
                                Aliexpress is is much more reliable source for genuine products, ie. Mitutoyo calipers or lathe inserts.

Comment

Working...
                                X