tailstock question also large Hoffman dividing head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

tailstock question also large Hoffman dividing head?

Hi Guys Alistair jnr got me a dividing head and tailstock at an auction last week. The tailstock is clearly one from a lathe and is in nice condition, however although it looks like an expensive unit the tailstock according to my eyes seems to be hiding it's name. Is there anyway I could check up on different tailstocks to find which one it is. I am just finished cleaning it, and am about to start on the very heavy dividing head marked Hoffman complete with chuck. It has the division plate and the usual spring locking device etc. they are both grey in colour. This head took me all my strength to lift it onto a chair and at the time I didn't know if I was going to make it all the way up I am going to clean the unit and see if I can take a few pictures (IF I CAN ) be back later. Seems they are good units but it is far to big for me to be practical so it may end up goodness knows where. Anyone broke their leg and wanting it for free keep dreaming LOL Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease
  • LKeithR
    • Sep 2011

Tailstocks are very lathe specific. When you consider that it only takes a couple thou of misalignment to put a taper into
    a workpiece "close" just isn't good enough--bed width and centre line height must be exactly the same otherwise they won't
    work.

To compound the problem few of the tailstocks I've seen have had markings of any kind. The only way to know for sure if a
    tailstock will fit a particular lathe is to try it for fit on the bed and, if it's close, actually make some test cuts to check the
    alignment. This isn't too bad if somebody a couple miles down the road is interested but it's a big gamble to ship something
    that heavy any distance.

Over the years I've seen a few "orphan" tailstocks and steady rests and, once separated from the mothership, few, if any, ever
    made it home again. There's a very good chance that all you've got there is a large, strange-looking boat anchor...
    Keith

Comment

• Joel
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
      Anyone broke their leg and wanting it for free keep dreaming LOL Alistair
      I rather doubt he would be foolish enough to ask you. Time to give it up and move on.

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
        • Aug 2002

The tailstock has not been made freehand I.E it has been specifically made for some lathe and it is very well made too. I will find it some day no rush on my part. My son needs a tailstock for a wood lathe a Harrison graduate maybe I can make it fit that it is not rocket science after all. I wont give up so easily. and Joel just a joke no offense meant end off. Alistair

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
          • Aug 2002

Well I found it second try it is from a Harrison L5 with a ten inch centre height exactly the same. so what is it worth not making it into a boat anchor would rather flog it. Alistair

Comment

• BCRider
            • Dec 2015

To someone with an L5 that lost, wore out or managed to break the tail stock I'd say maybe $100 plus shipping? The trick will be finding that poor soul. Can't be more than one or two such folks in the whole world.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• reggie_obe
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              To someone with an L5 that lost, wore out or managed to break the tail stock I'd say maybe $100 plus shipping? The trick will be finding that poor soul. Can't be more than one or two such folks in the whole world.
              No guarantee that this tailstock doesn't have heavy base wear, a banana shaped contact pattern and/or a droopy and worn out barrel either. Will make a nice doorstop.

Comment

• ulav8r
                • Oct 2002

Could be quite useful on any lathe of about the same center height. Just fit a new bottom piece to fit another lathe than the one it was made for.
                North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                X