Can Anyone Identify This Vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Identify This Vise?

Last Saturday, at an estate sale, I picked up (just barely) this old vise. It weighs about 85 - 90 pounds or so...haven't put in on my scales yet.

So far I've not found anything in my internet searching that matches this design with the large opening for the pipe jaws, or that matches the logo. So take a look at the pix and see if you recognize it.

The jaws are about 4-1/2 inches wide, and the opening for the pipe jaws is about 4-1/2 inches diameter when the top jaws are closed. It's about 22 inches long.

On one side is says "NO 3" and "COMB." I'm assuming the "COMB" stands for "combination." On the other side is a logo consisting of a "T" within a circle.

Any ideas?

I think thats a farriers vise, it's used to hold the horses leg while you install new shoes.
    san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
      I think thats a farriers vise, it's used to hold the horses leg while you install new shoes.
      I'll ask my farrier friend about that, but I don't think she'll agree.

Comment

I've seen them (and other tools with that mark) referred to as 'circle t'. Not much info.. maybe a house brand from a very old retailer.

Comment

Originally a Henry B Smith combination vise, later sold by Oswego Tool Company. Yours is the latter.

Patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/search...id=17057&set=1

allan
          Last edited by kitno455; 02-27-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
            Originally a Henry B Smith combination vise, later sold by Oswego Tool Company. Yours is the latter.

Patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/search...id=17057&set=1

allan
            Thanks! That was quick...is this a special area of knowledge for you?

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
              Thanks! That was quick...is this a special area of knowledge for you?
              We've all got our vises.

allan

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
                I am a city boy but I have seen horses shod many times and the farrier held the horses leg between his, for shoeing. A farrier's vise is for shaping horse shoes, not torturing horses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
                  I am a city boy but I have seen horses shod many times and the farrier held the horses leg between his, for shoeing. A farrier's vise is for shaping horse shoes, not torturing horses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  I think he was kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                    I think he was kidding
                    I know he was kidding...
                    Keith

Comment

Thing looks like something SJ would use on his mill, is there some kind of British stamp on it of somekind? like even a melted wax plug with a pic of the queen or something?

Comment

Working...
                      X