X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most pristine Myford Super 7 on the planet? - on CL

Listed at a mere $7200:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/6027031691.html

I can't believe after all the "experts" have dissed Atlas as junk for having flat ways that a fine machine like this has them also

Comment

I would have to smear dirty oil on it just to make it not the brightest, shiniest thing in my garage.

Comment

From the look of the garish colour it's the "Big Bore" version but you should get a very good Harrison 300 for that much!
        If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

I've had 2 of them, one brand new, a ml10, first lathe I had, then a super 7 tri lever, donated by hawker siddleys when they got a new WARCO for facing samples from the foundry, neither were brilliant, just so so, an old Harrison 12" is my current beast, it's like chalk and cheese, the Harrison cost less, can take a heavier cut, even worn it can hold its own against any myford, fact is I think it's a little more accurate.
          Myford were always a bit over rated imho, popular mainly for the size and plug and play.
          The ml10 got stolen as its carry able I'm going for a DSG with at least 120 inch bed, carry that ya bstrds
          I do like teal as a colour for bedrooms, lathes are grey, like battleships, I've seen gold ones, you wouldent paint the Missuri teal unless you wanted to hide it in beds, baths and beyond.
          Machines are grey, any shade but grey, sorry Norm no green allowed.
          Mark

Comment

Run a mile! Every Myford I have ever seen has been an import..

Comment

$7500 almost half the new price, no wonder they went out of business.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I bought a new (Grey) Super7 in 1971 from a shop near Philadelphia with motor, 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks for $1035.
                It is a light duty lathe, but for most things I do, live steam, etc, it's perfect. I use the SB 9" for the heavier tasks.
                RichD, Canton, Ga
                RichD, Canton, GA

Comment

Myford Ltd should buy it, they have nothing to sell that they don't buy in and tart up these days.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                    I can't believe after all the "experts" have dissed Atlas as junk for having flat ways that a fine machine like this has them also
                    Nobody but a [email protected] fool disses flat ways.

What is wrong with flat ways?

The only thing wrong with flat ways is that Atlas used them. That alone will set off the "internet experts". I don't care much for Atlas, but it has NOTHING to do with flat ways.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                      I do like teal as a colour for bedrooms, lathes are grey, like battleships, I've seen gold ones, you wouldent paint the Missuri teal unless you wanted to hide it in beds, baths and beyond.
                      Machines are grey, any shade but grey, sorry Norm no green allowed.
                      Mark
                      The Myford is clearly British Racing Teal - a whole 'nother shade.

Comment

On the colour....I wonder if its a white balance issue? I've not seen one that colour, its rather horrid. Green and grey is how i've seen them. As anyone who's every had one knows, they are fantastic little lathe, made and finished to high standards. While high, if I was after one, the price wouldn't necessarily scare me off give how pristine it looks, but the lack of tooling/accessories would.

Comment

I agree, only toy lathes are flat beded, this is a rebadged myford super 7, honest
                          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cr...X2Sml8FIuOHAM:
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                            All the experts agree those lathes are very easy to rebuild by scraping or grinding. Very simple geometry.

The experts also say they're very cheaply made and, well, cheap. I tend to agree, although I'm sure they can do just fine work they don't give you that feeling of a quality robust machine.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                              On the colour....I wonder if its a white balance issue?
                              Nope, that's the colour that Myford chose for the new Big Bore models, foul isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X