Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3/4" ingersoll rand super duty impacts. Keep or sell ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" ingersoll rand super duty impacts. Keep or sell ????

I came across a couple 3/4" ingersoll rand impacts at auction a week or so ago. My original intention was strictly to sell them an make a few bucks as I do not have 3/4" sockets and dont forsee buying them. I then had the thought about just buying an adapter and using it for the rare occasions I cant break something lose with my 1/2" impacts.

Anyone have 3/4" impacts and do you find yourself using them much. For the price I paid for both I can at a minimum sell one and break even. Selling both ill have a descent profit and can buy more stuff I probably dont need. The struggle is real.

Thanks

If you have a tractor or large truck, keep at least one of them. I have both 1" and 3/4" drive sockets. I would not use an adaptor with 1/2" sockets unless the impact(s) are rated below 600ft/lbs. HF has excellent 3/4" and 1" impact sockets at a reasonable price. They're thick wall and they've stood up to 2,000+ ft/lb impacts used on two of my tractors when jumping on a 3/4" breaker w/cheater bar wouldn't work. The biggest problem with the larger impacts is getting enough air to them. Consider that also.

Comment

Sell both of them, if you had an actual need you would have already owned one. Also like mentioned above, lots of air and most likely bigger fittings and air hose than what you currently have to get the full potential out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        If you have a tractor or large truck, keep at least one of them. The biggest problem with the larger impacts is getting enough air to them. Consider that also.
        I have found that a work around with the air problem is solved (for me anyway) by using a pig with a short (15') length of 3/4'' air hose from the pig to the gun and standard 3/8'' air hose from the source to the work location. Not enough reserve air for constant use, but good enough to run my 1''gun for long enough bursts to break loose truck or tractor lug nuts etc.
        Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDWAY-...FVVsfgoduNUKRA

Steve

Comment

I'm with oxford, sell 'em both. Use the profits to pay for something you really need.

Comment

If you do any wrench twisting at all, even automotive work, you'll be happy you kept one.
            I've got a pretty good 1/2" drive impact that I use a lot but sometimes it just doesn't cut the mustard an large suspension pieces that have been exposed to the elements for 20 years. I'll use a short fat hose with the 1/2" one and wait till the compressor has just shut off to gain what I can but it doesn't hold a candle to the 3/4" impact.
            You may not use it a lot but when you need it you'll be glad you didn't sell it.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

So im kinda lost as usual. Is the air issue a pressure, volume, or a CFM issue. My compressor is capable of putting out over 25cfm and is I think around 130 gallon. I cant imagine my compressor being the issue but maybe im wrong.

Comment

Sounds like you have more than ample air. As long as hose and fitting are sized appropriately you should not have issues.
                Think of the air supply like electricity. All the power coming into your shop won't do you any good with only a 16 ga. extension cord supply a 5 HP motor. As long as the plumbing to the tool can supply both pressure and volume at the same time you won't have problems getting the maximum benefit from the tool.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
                  So im kinda lost as usual. Is the air issue a pressure, volume, or a CFM issue. My compressor is capable of putting out over 25cfm and is I think around 130 gallon. I cant imagine my compressor being the issue but maybe im wrong.
                  Your compressor should be just fine. The problem with lack of volume at the end of the (100' long 1/4'' air line) the smallest air line I use is 3/8", but I don't think that is big enough for a 3/4'' gun. I know it isn't for a 1'' gun, that is why I use the pig and 3/4' hose.
                  Try whatever hose you have and see how it works, but I feel that you would be happier with 1/2'' air hose and fittings/quick disconnects.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
                    Your compressor should be just fine. The problem with lack of volume at the end of the (100' long 1/4'' air line) the smallest air line I use is 3/8", but I don't think that is big enough for a 3/4'' gun. I know it isn't for a 1'' gun, that is why I use the pig and 3/4' hose.
                    Try whatever hose you have and see how it works, but I feel that you would be happier with 1/2'' air hose and fittings/quick disconnects.

Steve
                    That makes sense. The fittings that are on the guns appear to be 1/2" if I remember correctly. I might play around with what I have laying around and see how they run.. I have been in the process of running air lines so it would be perfect timing to drop a 3/4" if I want to keep one. Wouldnt be bad to have a monster laying around to break bolts off LOL

Comment

If you have a tractor or large truck, keep at least one of them. I have both 1" and 3/4" drive sockets. I would not use an adaptor with 1/2" sockets unless the impact(s) are rated below 600ft/lbs. HF has excellent 3/4" and 1" impact sockets at a reasonable price. They're thick wall and they've stood up to 2,000+ ft/lb impacts used on two of my tractors when jumping on a 3/4" breaker w/cheater bar wouldn't work. The biggest problem with the larger impacts is getting enough air to them. Consider that also.
                      X2 on what Ken said. I have to break out my 3/4 drive from time to time. I got lucky and bought my IR2161 at a pawn shop. It was like new.

Comment

-HF has excellent 3/4" and 1" impact sockets at a reasonable price. They're thick wall and they've stood up to 2,000+ ft/lb impacts used on two of my tractors when jumping on a 3/4" breaker w/cheater bar wouldn't work. The biggest problem with the larger impacts is getting enough air to them. Consider that also.
                        Yes on both accounts. I have a really nice set of 1-1/2"s + socket set from HF. Heavy as heck. And a decent air supply is needed. JR

Wanna see my old school four cylinder low pressure, high volume air pump??? Nope, note for you, ha. It is an old oil well pump.

I broke it down, it was trully fixed in place. I wedged the heads off the cans.

That was a fun rebuild. Even got a solid 10hp GE motor to run it. My Uncle gave me the motor fo a B-Day present. Ill take a pic of the tag if you want. Its funny. 10hp at single phase.

This GE can is giant. It is 10 HP on 220 single phase. It is a GE motor... JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                        X