brass or bronze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brass or bronze

I tried to help my BIL fix his reel .Spares are obsolete. The driveshaft has worn and the threads were damaged on the shaft and nut that holds the crank handle on.
    I machined the shaft out of brass and had to make a new nut as well. This entailed making a tap as well as this is a 8x0.75 mm thread of which i have had to single point turn.
    My question is will brass stand up to the task.? I only thought about this after having spent hours making it. I wonder if the original is p bronze and how much more durable is PB over brass.
    How do you tell the difference in a homeshop environment?:

Salt water?

Phosphor bronze or admiralty brass.

Comment

Bronze will wear a lot longer than most brass. Visually brass is more of a bright gold color, bronze is more of a brownish gold. Aluminum Bearing Bronze is brownish gold with silver tiger stripes.
      Kansas City area

Comment

On a fishing reel...........I think your arm would wear out long before that brass part you made wears.

Trying to tell the difference between some materials can be guessing game, especially when there are several types of brass and bronze and they become well tarnished, weathered or oxidized and even when not. If you clean and shine them up it's sometimes still hard to tell. Identification by looks is sometimes easier when the piece is left to naturally tarnish, like from sitting around on a shelf, not out in the weather.
        I usually combine a visual inspection with a file test or sometimes even drilling. That can tell you how hard a material is as well as it's machining characteristics. But you would have to know what the machining characteristics of the material in question would be.

JL.................

Comment

If the reel is to be used in or on salt water, use bronze, as brass is more susceptible to corrosion by salt.

Comment

Put a good grease on it and it'll last quite a while

Comment

You've already invested the time and material in making a new part, so you might as well install and use it. If it wears out, make the next one
              out of bronze.
              Last edited by RichR; 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

..... or high chromium stainless.....

I'm guessing that the original broke from an accidental impact with something. I can't see any loads it would be put to while fishing causing the problem. So as long as he doesn't have another accident with it the brass one, suitably greased lightly, should last for longer than either of you need to worry about it.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                  ..... or high chromium stainless.....

I'm guessing that the original broke from an accidental impact with something. I can't see any loads it would be put to while fishing causing the problem. So as long as he doesn't have another accident with it the brass one, suitably greased lightly, should last for longer than either of you need to worry about it.
                  I hope you are right. These reels take a beating as we kayak fish in the sea. We usually take a tumble or two as we launch through quite big waves at times. We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking

Comment

"We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking"

Sharks + kayaks!!!! Ya gots mo" cajones than me!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                      I hope you are right. These reels take a beating as we kayak fish in the sea. We usually take a tumble or two as we launch through quite big waves at times. We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking
                      BCRider steps back with hands palm out mumbling "whooooooooo aaaaaaaa.........." Yeah, bigger ones than I've got too.... And I used to wind surf at the Columbia Gorge in winds that made it dangerous to simply walk around.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Bronze would have been a little better I think but it's swings and roundabouts, either way you've done a fine job.
                        BC points out stainless, I'd guess that would be best, some machine nice. It's fixed anyway, probably good for a decade or two
                        Mark

Comment

..... probably good for a decade or two
                          Or one wild and crazy shark ride......
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Most sharks are just a pain in the arse. I doubt they will attack us.But in the Cape you get big Great whites. We get tigers and bull sharks and seldom a white. Most are black tips. Its hard to get a fish out cause they eat everything you catch.
                            Heres a vid of one of my clients son to give you an idea of the kayaks and sharks.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NuD8vc97Rw

Comment

Suddenly what type of metal you are making the part out of seems like a non issue.

"We need a bigger boat....."

Comment

Working...
                              X