Should I have bought a smaller vise ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I have bought a smaller vise ?

So I have this mill ,1979 go well Taiwan import . Might be a little over kill ,but I ran into an issue after a new purchase.i previously had a 3 inch milling vise and bought a 6 inch vise. With the new vise I'm losing about an inch and half of travel in the y . I'm thinking about milling off the front of the vise to give me about an inch more of travel .Does this sound like a stupid idea?anyome have any other ideas?PS it's a import vice

Edit ended up cutting the vise now I have enough clearance
    Last edited by tbsrokks05; 03-19-2017, 01:39 PM.

I'n not one to be squeamish about modifying machinery.

But, yeah. kinda.

I'd just turn the %$#@! thing 90 deg after cutting off the long studs, and go with that.

You are not getting an inch off that without messing things up. A half inch of rim, maybe.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Yeah the studs are just temporary but yeah that seems to be a better idea

Comment

I have essentially the same mill/drill, and that vise looks a lot like the one I bought from Enco a year or so back.

If you don't need the swivel, you can remove it and gain an inch or so.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

That vise is too big for the machine. A 4 inch would be just right. If you don't want to buy another vise, turning it 90 degrees is next best.
          Kansas City area

Comment

I chopped about an inch off.

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            That vise is too big for the machine. A 4 inch would be just right. If you don't want to buy another vise, turning it 90 degrees is next best.
            Some years ago I bought a similar vice to use on my Busy Bee B0 48 mill. I soon found that the lip at the back( Ie the fixed Jaw edge) got in the way of giving me the travel I needed. I tried it at 90 degrees and found it " Unnatural". After a bit of totally unnecessary worry I bandsawed the lip off, squared it up on the mill, checked to see if there was any measurable distortion, there was not any. I have been using the vice virtually every day since, and it is still fairly square and straight ,within a thous on any test. Until I saw the posting I had totally forgotten about my modification. Hope this helps David Powell.

Comment

The rim , yeah.

Looked like an inch would cut into the jaws.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

dump the swivel and bolt the vise to the front slot.

Comment

If you clamp on the edge rather than the clamping slots you can position the vise wherever you want.
                  Last edited by adatesman; 03-16-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Silly, last I looked it's not against the law to have two vises.

Pun entirely unintentional!

Dave

Comment

Buy a bigger mill, problem solved!

Comment

I never cease to be amazed at how much you seem to know about items you have never seen. Maybe you could tell me the winning lottery number for this week.s 6 /49. I KNOW I chopped off about an inch of lip. There is a little of the lip left before the vice proper. I know because I went and had a look. Maybe my vice came from a different mould than the one in the photos, Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                          I never cease to be amazed at how much you seem to know about items you have never seen. Maybe you could tell me the winning lottery number for this week.s 6 /49. I KNOW I chopped off about an inch of lip. There is a little of the lip left before the vice proper. I know because I went and had a look. Maybe my vice came from a different mould than the one in the photos, Regards David Powell.
                          Hey, now..... take a chill pill.

There's a pic, so it's not like nobody can see what is meant.... it's right there.

All I said was it looked proportionally more like half an inch in what I SAW in the pic.... so I was surprised it was an inch. But if you took a full inch off, OK, you know what you cut off, I believe it.

Now, my question to you is: If the OP takes off an inch and a half, will he cut into the jaw, or not? Cuz the whole point of my comment is that it would not be a great idea to cut off part of the jaw.... especially when he can just turn the vise.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Bolting the vice to the front slots would cause it not to hit but I'd still have the issue on the work envolope here . There's a little over an inch of rim on the vise before getting to the back jaws if I do decided to cut it .

Comment

I would like to have a bigger mill ,the Dro on my mill is supposed to be for a Bridgeport ,using the y as the x and z as the y but anyways having a bigger mill would be too big of a wiring issue

Comment

Working...
                              X