No announcement yet.

Band Saw rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're listing 'em, I cleaned up an '48 DoAll LHF saw over at PM. Started out a quick clean-up, but I eventually had to go as far as a full rebuild on the gearbox.

Now it's one of the most-used and handiest machines in the shop.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I cant believe somebody scrapped that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
        While we're listing 'em, I cleaned up an '48 DoAll LHF saw over at PM. Started out a quick clean-up, but I eventually had to go as far as a full rebuild on the gearbox.

Now it's one of the most-used and handiest machines in the shop.

Doc.
        X2 on the most used machine,metal,plastic and wood I use it for every thing and power feed for heavy plate steel works great

Comment

Something that helps remove rust from flat surfaces is a razor-blade scraper, the type that uses single-edge blades. Scrapes the rust off; I often use oil, WD-40, or somesuch.

Comment

Here's my similar do-all pre resto.

There's no post clean up because after topping off the fluids and repairing the light, the damn thing is so useful I just use it as is every day

Comment

tundra, nice restoration.

Comment

Anybody got an extra job selector wheel? Mine was missing when I got my saw. I have been searching Ebay for the past year but no luck.

Comment

There's a buisness opertunity, if you have one to copy that is, band saw selector wheel disk things, they're always broken or missing
                  Beautiful job tundra
                  Mark

Comment

Haven't had a chance to do much with the saw this week, however I did acquire a new drive belt. Next I need to source some blade guides, I'm hesitant to call DoAll for obvious reasons.. $$. Though I may call today and hopefully be surprised. Does anyone know of any other sources?

Comment

I would be sure it was from a commercial shop. Either the need for it went away and the bean counters wanted it off the books or they upgraded to a new one, perhaps with more features or a bigger work envelope. And no one had any time to do any repair/restore work on it.

For better or worse, once the cost of a piece of equipment has been fully written off on their taxes, many companies consider an item to be worthless.

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                      I cant believe somebody scrapped that.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        For better or worse, once the cost of a piece of equipment has been fully written off on their taxes, many companies consider an item to be worthless.
                        So True.
                        Once I helped save a piece of equipment from the scrapper at work. It was valuable to someone and we eventually worked out a trade for credit on a newer piece of machinery. Part of the swap was our investing in a repair upfront without a 100% guarantee of success. We were dealing with honest folks though and the trade went through. 25% discount on a $10K piece of new equipment.

We felt great until the Bean counters did the books that year. They took our 25% savings and refunded it to the department that scrapped the original unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X