Rust Inhibitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Inhibitors

For years I've used "Camphor Gum Blocks" in the drawers of my tool boxes, to keep the rust away.........Now at over $2 a cube, it's getting pretty expensive. i.e.(18 drawers cost about $40 for 2 years.)
    Has anybody heard of using "Bounce" dryer sheets for the same purpose? I started using them, with no negative result yet.
    Any other ideas out there???

I coat stuff LPS 3 where possible, and I use the siclica stuff in other places. I take the packages of silica and warm them up in the oven every couple of months to dry them out.

The dryer sheet idea sounds like a try which I may try in my tool chests.

Thanks for sharing,

Jerry

Comment

I just Googled the sunject and came up with this source, 16 ounces for $8.00

http://www.blackherbals.com/camphor.htm

Jerry

Comment

There's also stuff called a "vapor phase rust inhibitor". You can get it impregnated in paper packaging and polyethylene bag stock. Maybe its available as a liquid or a form suited for treating active storage units.

This works great proviced the tool storage is closed most of the time. Open air will allow the goodies to dissipate.

Comment

Will it keep those plastic screwdriver handles from stinking up the whole cabnet too?

Geez! What is with those things. Craftsman yet. Every time I open the drawer, I expect to find a dead rat or something. Shuuuuuuuey!

Speeking of stink. I got a old (50's) convertable top pump and was cleaning it up and flushing. Holy dead Mackerel Batman! Must have had the original Whale Oil fluid in it.

Comment

Keep a dehumidifier in my garage - because it may be months before my tools are put up properly.

Comment

Also being a woodworker,keeping rust off large cast iron tables was a full time job,until I discovered NU-finish,you know "the once a year car polish" I have no clue if it is good car polish,but it keeps the cast iron looking good.I have been thinking about using it on my box tools too.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I use the silica packs myself. I have a lot of those large cheap tupperware type containers found in dollar stores for router bits, end mills, tooling of all sorts. Throw in some of those packs. Collecting all these little packets can take for ever though. You can buy a bag of cat litter that has silica pellets in it and bag them up yourself. The small brown paper sandwich bags folded over an taped works well. $7 for about 10 pounds of the stuff I think.

------------------
                Lee
                Lee

Comment

Working...
                X