No announcement yet.

How to test Treadmill Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's probably because the whole "buy equipment to get fit but never use it" craze never took off in Finland

Shipping would be a killer though!

Comment

If you just want to test the motor to see if it runs hook it up to a couple of 12 volt car batteries in series.I would think it should turn at this lower voltage.To change directions reverse the leads.I have come across a video on you tube where someone uses a 4000 watt controller from ebay to make a cheap speed control.Some of the ebay controllers are the triac type so the person in the video ran its output through a bridge rectifier and then to the motor.I have a treadmill motor on my bench that I want to try this method to see how it works.One other option could be a cheap router speed control.

Comment

this may sound unbelievable .. but a 9v battery will turn one of those motors.

amazing, right !?
        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Why can't you use the controller from the treadmill?

Comment

May want to look at this thread from a few months ago

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...wn-for-dummies
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Check out YouTube. There are a couple of videos of testing treadmill motors and how the controller boards work.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                Well what can I see? Threadmill motor from Finnish "Tunturi" brand.

3 HP unit so I would imagine its from bit more serious unit. (Only gyms have threadmills around here, so its likely commercial-duty unit)
                This thing very heavy some of the iron is 1/8" steel with large rollers.
                Originally posted by Glug View Post
                Why can't you use the controller from the treadmill?
                Will try if get correct wires to test
                Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                May want to look at this thread from a few months ago

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...wn-for-dummies
                That was very good post Mike,I read before posting this does it apply to digital controller.Was wanting to hot wire correct leads to see if would at top speed.Darryl had explained it on his reply but have not had time today to look at it.

Comment

Hi
                  Being a confessed DC Motor Nut Case with all my metal working machines on AC to DC speed controls.
                  Be very careful if you fit a Reversing Switch That the motor is completely stopped by cutting the power at the Mains.
                  Lots of manuals on controllers at
                  http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variabl...DC_Drives.html
                  to help understand how they work.

Eric

Comment

With KB you have the I1 & I2 to close when reversing, this causes the drive to come up through accel setting.
                    This way there is no need to cut mains power, and the reversing can be done with the motor leads, this is the way the KB reversing switch works.
                    The MC-60 has a feature that ensures the pot is at zero when powered, otherwise it does not run.
                    Also for most applications it is important to remove the flywheel.
                    Max.

Comment

I think you're better off leaving the flywheel on and either securing it with a set screw/ key or driving it in the correct direction. Better cooling, more inertia, you can use the cast in poly v pulley. Does help to statically balance them though, they can be done way out!

Comment

Hi Tundra Twin Pak,

Can you get a few pic's of the controller from the sides and top with the wires disconnected? This looks a bit like a MC 60. Controller in the one picture. I just took a all touch screen treadmill apart and it had a MC 60 with a 2hp motor and yes the 120v rack and pinion gearbox that raised and lowered the walking platform is strong and has a forward reverse motor.
                        With the MC 60 controller you can clip 1 resister on the board and do not have to deal with stop start any more. Do read the post on here abouttreadmills for dummies, it's got good info no matter what your electrical experience is.
                        Do let us know what and where you use this setup.

TX
                        Mr fixit for the family
                        Chris

Comment

Hey Chris, I don't want to seem like a jerk, but that isn't an mcXX family controller as far as I can tell
                          nor a kb drive. My guess would be a bespoke drive made for that manufacturer, especially given the onboard choke (although the mc2100 comes with that).

Tundra - did you get a look at the control board of the Tm that this came from? That would give us a shot at figuring out how it's controlled. Or even a pic of all the connectors on the board.

Comment

Some of those motors are able to turn with just a few volts. That could be as low as 3 volts, or perhaps up to about 7 or 8 volts would be needed to maintain the armature in rotation, albeit at a very slow rpm. This is a good test as any deviations in rotational rpm would be quite noticeable, able to indicate whether there's a bad comm segment or an open winding, or even a shorted winding. The only real trick with a test like this is have a power supply can output enough current. A 9 v battery might be able to turn the armature over, but then again it might poop out before there's ever any rotation. I'd have to say that C cells would be up to it though. Three, four, maybe five in series should be more than capable of turning a treadmill motor under a no-load condition. Just for a test-
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                              That's probably because the whole "buy equipment to get fit but never use it" craze never took off in Finland
                              an incredible marketing accomplishment.....like the cosmetics industry, what they are really selling is hope
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

One quick source to test a motor is a automotive battery.
                                The problem with leaving the flywheel on is if you require rapid accel/decel no industrial CNC spindle uses a flywheel as far as I have ever seen.
                                The reason it is used on a T.M. is to avoid any jerky motion and produce a smooth motion when a user is on the belt.
                                Max.

Comment

Working...
                                X