No announcement yet.

I Can't Believe Cored Bronze Round Moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is the way I'm going to slice the segments off the ring.
    I scribed the ring using my center gage. I spaced the scribe marks .625 apart on the OD. I'll use the parallel to line the scribe marks up as shown and bring the saw down until it touches the parallel. Once I cut one segment I can use it for a pattern for the others.

JL...............

Comment

I'd just cut them with a hacksaw and file them to suit, but I'm guessing that isn't the finish you're aiming for

Comment

Nice job joe, a setup like that broke my last slitting blade, steel tube, went fine till it closed on the blade an bit a chunk out, I'm just lucky I guess, it was thick wall hydraulic tube so I should have guessed.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
          Nice job joe, a setup like that broke my last slitting blade, steel tube, went fine till it closed on the blade an bit a chunk out, I'm just lucky I guess, it was thick wall hydraulic tube so I should have guessed.
          Mark
          I've had stuff like that close up on me just as the blade breaks through. Mostly rolled tube. Most of the time it pops open, but I do remember having some SS sq.tube that closed up and popped the blade of my band saw.. However I don't believe there are any internal stresses waiting to be relieved from anything cut out of a bronze round.
          Bronze has some self lubricity qualities so it shouldn't be an issue.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            I've had stuff like that close up on me just as the blade breaks through. Mostly rolled tube. Most of the time it pops open, but I do remember having some SS sq.tube that closed up and popped the blade of my band saw.. However I don't believe there are any internal stresses waiting to be relieved from anything cut out of a bronze round.
            Bronze has some self lubricity qualities so it shouldn't be an issue.

JL.............
            Or you could tap a wedge of wood into the hole as a precaution.

Comment

Obviously stresses built up in the casting process. Maybe anneal it next time?
              I had a lathe job once in bronze with aluminum in it. Take a cut on the OD and the OD grew a couple of thou. Chase that down and the las measurement was undersized.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Mark
                You were right.... that ring snapped shut on me when I moved the saw out of the cut. I didn't cut all the way through, left about .010 on the inside but the force of the ring wanting to close up was more than that thin amount of material could support. I tried to spread the ring by hand but could barely get it to open up so I cut the segment out with a hack saw and left my mark clear. I measured the ring after I cut the segment out and it closed up .020 on the OD.
                The segment was a little tight fitting in the hub groove so I stoned the top slightly and turned a steel round to the dia. of the inside groove wall taking into consideration the thickness of the sandpaper and lightly sanded the inside radius of the segment. I got a perfect fit. I'll use that one for the master pattern for the other two weights.
                I wonder........... perhaps I should have hole sawed the rings over and under sized out of a piece of 5/16" bronze plate and then turned the ID and OD. Not sure what kind of internal stresses I would run into with plate.

JL.....................

Comment

On something like this I tend to make a fixture to hold the section and turn it individually. If you place 2 of them opposed to one another you can still check the inner and outer 'diameters' and they don't shift. But I mostly do this to reduce material usage.

Comment

Working...
                  X