Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWooldridge
    replied
    In the future it might help to run a raw block thru a heat cycle to normalize internal stresses.

If you want to melt down the swarf, put a cover over the metal in the crucible - like a layer of crushed charcoal. Helps cut down on the oxidation.

Leave a comment:

• Lowery Racing
    replied
    In my experience, bronze is the worst as it always moves, warps, twists in some form or fashion, fortunately is this case the pieces are still usable..

Very nice work on the entire project!

Leave a comment:

• LibbyHillBrewer
    replied
    I'm told that swarf doesn't really cast all that well because the metal has so much surface area that it tends to oxide heavily at melting temperatures and you lose a lot to slag. That's not to say that if you had a lot of turnings you couldn't make up for losses by adding more to the crucible though.

The other problem is having a furnace that's gets hit enough to melt copper and bronze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by rkepler View Post
    Everything moves and/or is made of gum rubber. Cast stuff moves the most, When machining something cast I usually rough things in and leave it overnight before finishing, and even then I've seen cast iron casting move .006" across a 1.5" bore.
    It didn't move until I cut the ring from the round. At this point it's not going to return to post cutting dimensions. In this case it's not going to matter and I can't change the ID or OD.

JL..................

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    I think you weill need more chips....but this cast apple is sort of neat....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pdjg3a1amM

Leave a comment:

• JoeCB
    replied
    As for the turnings... I do some considerable work in brass and bronze. I used to sweep and toss the turnings, no longer. Save all the turnings and scrap and it goes to the salvage yard, $1.10 per pound. Oh' be sure to thoroughly clean your machine of any steel residue before beginning the brass/ bronze work. If the scrap man's magnet picks up anything, you loose big on the price.

Joe B

Leave a comment:

• rkepler
    replied
    Everything moves and/or is made of gum rubber. Cast stuff moves the most, When machining something cast I usually rough things in and leave it overnight before finishing, and even then I've seen cast iron casting move .006" across a 1.5" bore.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    started a topic I Can't Believe Cored Bronze Round Moved

I Can't Believe Cored Bronze Round Moved

I made these two rings to cut the weight segments out of for my balancing hubs. I measured them to the tenths on the ID & OD.
    After I cut the first ring from the bar I noticed when I put a ground parallel across the faced end that it had moved. The inside edge raised slightly in a few spots. I could also feel it move when I set it on the surface plate.
    I've had this issue when making similar parts out of steel but didn't expect it to happen with 932 bronze.
    The rings also went out of round by about 1.5 thou. None of this will matter since the weight segments won't be much longer than a 1/2" but what if it was something that did matter like a bearing or sleeve.

Now I have to face the opposite side down to the appropriate thickness.
    Lastly............ what do I do with the 3 Lbs. of turnings?????? Hate to scrap it. Maybe I can melt it down into something useful like a piece of bar for the next project.

JL................

Working...
X