Hot summer day, machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot summer day, machining

So, It is so hot today that I was forced to go down stairs and do some machining. It is maybe 15آ° cooler down there.

Here is the mock up of the parts I cut for the milling machine. Lotsa crap in the background.

Flycutter in the lathe using the power crossfeed (electric): Never mind the crap, that's how I work.

After cutting in the lathe with the fly cutter (coool) it looks like this:

Totally unrelated, here is the latest incarnation of my 30 year old lawnmower. It starts on the first or second pull.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-02-2004).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

the Stealth mower..... doesn't look like it's getting much use right now.

Comment

Nice flycut!Are you going to use rod rails for the x axis too?

Lawnmower,best kind too,simple as dirt,twice as cheap You could get ten more of those,plus some flabby old women and start a new exercise craze "Mow,mow,mow your way to firmer buns and thighs"!!!!$19.95
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What does "hot" mean in your area? What is the intended travel of your milling machine? XYZ? Why did you decide to build your milling machine out of aluminum instead of steel? Some of the old SB lathes have hydrodynamic spindle bearings (similar to automotive) is that the way your lathe is set up? That type bearing is much smoother than the ball bearing type spindles used in the later models. The SB I have is similar to yours but has the belt and gear covers. Always interested in your posts.

Comment

"Never mind the crap, that's how I work." Thanks Evan, I do the same thing.

Nice start on the mill.

Comment

That mower just needs some flames painted on it.

Comment

Glad to see I am not the only one that thrives in CHAOS.
              Was so bad yesterday, I couldn't find a plastic box, about 12" square after I sit it down.

Comment

DO NOT MENTION FLAMES AROUND HERE!!!!!

How hot? Around 96آ°F

Aluminum? Light. Easy to machine. I am a slack ass when it comes to machining. I like easy. The ways will be all round precision ground, X, Y, and Z. Special compensation is designed in to allow for the differential cooefficient of linear expansion of the aluminum vs the steel ways, in all directions.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-02-2004).]

Comment

I bet the grass doesn't even see that thing coming
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
                    That mower just needs some flames painted on it.</font>
                    Naaah, it needs some knarly lookin' spikey things stickin' out all over with a big blower on top. Call it the "Yard Warrior." Dress up like Mel Gibson and steal gas from the neighbors.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

So if it was so hot I have to ask...Did you keep your shirt on?

Dave

Comment

No wonder its lasted so long, there's no lawn to make it work hard.

Comment

What's a shirt?

Comment

hey, I work in squalor too

Comment

OK OK Messy work benches,messy shop areas. Ganoskin which is a jewelers site has the bench exchange,where the folks show their work area. It is interesting to view a place where; things are done,both creatively and commerically. Just as a picture shows more than written text.A picture or pictures shows a little bit of each other. Now I know some folks don't want to show their place and that is fine, privacy, a little bit shy or a whole lot shy! We don't invite everyone into our work place,we reserve that invite to special folks we know.But every one think about it. Now don't clean up for company, just clean up for yourself,or in my case myself,because we will be able to find things long hidden or taken by the little people who hid our things.There are people who are neat and others who have paths in their shops and can of know were things are suppose to be,but aren't.I am poking fun; but mostly at myself,the shop is a mess,mostly because of rewiring, at least that is my rational.
                              Dick Stack-Hillsdale Art Metal

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X