15,000 of these things to modify!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
    Keep in mind, this is not my full time job. I work 8+ elsewhere as an engineer.
    Then I have to ask, are you doing your customer, or yourself, a disservice by taking the work? Assuming you are charging a living wage to do this job, your customer might be better off grinding them up for remelt, and run a new batch.

allan

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
      Then I have to ask, are you doing your customer, or yourself, a disservice by taking the work? Assuming you are charging a living wage to do this job, your customer might be better off grinding them up for remelt, and run a new batch.

allan
      Not to be flippant, but this ain't my or their first rodeo!
      This is a fair and equitable arangement for both of us.
      Obviously I can't publish all the details, but we've been working together for many years now.
      I'm looking into optimization within time budget vs effort.
      Sometimes ya gotta just suck it up!

Comment

Not flippant at all. You are obviously creative and hard working, and know how to take care of yourself. But i can hear your elbow screaming from here

allan

Comment

Customer obviously has already been through a lead time to get the 15,000 pieces. They are not getting the next lot quickly, UNLESS the vendor "owns" the problem, and is motivated to make it good.

But it is likely that the customer owns at least part of it, because they did not notice the out-of-spec bosses on drawing or samples. In that case, they have to make do until next order. They probably can't get just a few hundred ordered, molding isn't usually like that unless it can be a gang molding situation using interchangeable molding stations. And that takes another customer with the same material in same color.

It DOES admittedly look like a huge time-eater that will mess up things for the foreseeable, so there is some point to questioning the deal. It will take more than a hundred 30 minute batches of 125 to eat up that backlog, assuming they don't order another corrected run meantime, and avoid the added cost. Odds are they will just order more and swap over when they come in.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Not to be flippant, but this ain't my or their first rodeo!
            This is a fair and equitable arangement for both of us.
            Obviously I can't publish all the details, but we've been working together for many years now.
            I'm looking into optimization within time budget vs effort.
            Sometimes ya gotta just suck it up!
            Having been in your position Sid, you are doing the right thing, and indeed, Sometimes ya gotta just suck it up. I hope your customer appreciates your efforts and skill.

I am always amused by all the opinions offered here, about what you should do or should have done. This is not to discourage any of those opinions, sometimes the obvious gets overlooked...
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

We really need a web counter for this, that will increment when you complete each unit.

And, of course, a TPS report. With the new coversheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                Having been in your position Sid, you are doing the right thing, and indeed, Sometimes ya gotta just suck it up. I hope your customer appreciates your efforts and skill.

I am always amused by all the opinions offered here, about what you should do or should have done. This is not to discourage any of those opinions, sometimes the obvious gets overlooked...
                I appreciate that Wes. They do appreciate what I do. And, they compensate accordingly!

After seeing some suggestions about gang drills, I have begun looking into one.
                A member here offered something that he had. But he's on the other side of the country.
                I'll probably make something dedicated to positions, not future adjustable.

I'll update if I make progress.

Sid

Comment

After seeing some suggestions about gang drills, I have begun looking into one.
                  I'll probably make something dedicated to positions, not future adjustable. Sid
                  You could start with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-Mabuchi-...YdPY-lcZABwQ4w

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Speed-...8AAOSwol5Y0Q3h

(This was just a quick look, there's probably something else better out there but it's what I had in mind.)
                  Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

...After seeing some suggestions about gang drills, I have begun looking into one.
                    A member here offered something that he had. But he's on the other side of the country.
                    I'll probably make something dedicated to positions, not future adjustable.

I'll update if I make progress.

Sid
                    I did that once for a deburring operation a few years back when I was still working. The pattern spacing of the four holes was such that I was conveniently able to use spur gears instead of a belt or chain. The speeds and forces were low so when I put it into production they just used it and I never heard anything more about it. Completely forgot about it until just now.

Just a thought: When drilling plastic, you might want to add a spring-loaded stripper plate to prevent self-feeding of the drills if there is any flex in the part. Not trying to over complicate, but consider provisions in the design just in case it becomes a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                      I did that once for a deburring operation a few years back when I was still working. The pattern spacing of the four holes was such that I was conveniently able to use spur gears instead of a belt or chain. The speeds and forces were low so when I put it into production they just used it and I never heard anything more about it. Completely forgot about it until just now.

Just a thought: When drilling plastic, you might want to add a spring-loaded stripper plate to prevent self-feeding of the drills if there is any flex in the part. Not trying to over complicate, but consider provisions in the design just in case it becomes a problem.
                      Hey Wes, I started a new thread with the gang design.
                      Look it over.

Sid

Comment

Hey Wes, I started a new thread with the gang design.
                        Look it over.

Sid
                        Yeah, got confused and posted here.

Comment

Have you considered (possibly ultrasonic) heating to install the fasteners? Something like:

http://www.spirol.com/library/whitep...llation_na.pdf

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-...sertion_hr.pdf

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/du...20Snap-fit.pdf
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Messing with the housings via heating would not be acceptable in a production setting.
                            You still run the risk of stress and cracking after insertion/cooling.

Sid
                            I was thinking something along the lines of delivering the housings to the assembly area on a conveyor that ran past a few heat guns or something similar. Heating would be easy...er than redrilling 60,000 holes I would think...and should get rid of any stresses as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X