OT Makita cordless drill'screw driver chuck problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Makita cordless drill'screw driver chuck problem

CORRECTION, It's a dewalt................
    I have a 4" fillips bit that I can't get out of the chuck.
    I can loosen the chuck all the way and look in it, there seams to be a round ring holding it in the chuck.
    It is't a keyed chuck.
    How to disassemble the chuck?
    Am I screwed?
    Last edited by fastfire; 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

You mean this sort of chuck?

Happened to me also once or twice when there was too much crud in the "chuck".

Give it good blast of WD-40 and couple of good jerks on the locking sleeve.
    Pulling the bitk and the locking sleeve simultaneously and running it on forward/reverse on short bursts might also help. (clamp the bit in a vise unless you have 3 hands)

Comment

No picture is there. It's one that you hold when tightening or loosening.
      No crud in there. When I loosen all the way the Phillips bit is loose in the chuck but there is a circular metal ring around the bit holding it from coming out.
      I'm guessing if there is a way to disassemble the chuck that is what i'm needing now.

Comment

When it doesn't work, use a bigger hammer
        Call 616 241-3448 Monday ask for service, give them the model & explain the problem.
        Last edited by flylo; 03-26-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I don't know how to get the chuck off. All the references I see show a reverse threaded screw that you have to access through the front of the chuck. If you have the model number you can often google it to find a manual, and that might give you a clue.

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that you have a 4 inch long Phillips bit that has a hex shaft with an indent towards the blunt end, and that some mechanism inside the chuck is hung up on the indent?

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfire View Post
            No picture is there. It's one that you hold when tightening or loosening.

I'm guessing if there is a way to disassemble the chuck that is what i'm needing now.
            Lets try again:
            this sort of "hex chuck"?
            http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...T11Z/206794357

or something completely different?

Comment

Think FF is talking about a keyless chuck, if so, and the bit is long enough try to get a short length of tubing that is a close fit to the bit, need to be able to push bit and tube in, then hold tube while pulling bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                Think FF is talking about a keyless chuck, if so, and the bit is long enough try to get a short length of tubing that is a close fit to the bit, need to be able to push bit and tube in, then hold tube while pulling bit.
                Never seen such a keyless drill chuck unless this is some prankster version?

Ordinary 3-jaw keyless drill chucks are mounted with left-hand screw trough the chuck. But its not possible to get to that screw if there is toolbit magically stuck in the chuck.

Comment

If it is a traditional chuck. Look at the bottom of it. If you have a screw it is probably left handed and has threadlocker on it. Get the screw out. Tighten the chuck on the short end of a large allen wrench. Then hit with a BFH. Take off the old chuck before you buy a new replacement to make sure of the needed thread size.

https://youtu.be/yXdrZaDZ-bg

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                    Never seen such a keyless drill chuck unless this is some prankster version?

Ordinary 3-jaw keyless drill chucks are mounted with left-hand screw trough the chuck. But its not possible to get to that screw if there is toolbit magically stuck in the chuck.
                    Standard chuck on an impact driver. Question is.. does the OP have traditional key less 3 jaw chuck or one of these? I'm betting the former.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                      Standard chuck on an impact driver. Question is.. does the OP have traditional key less 3 jaw chuck or one of these? I'm betting the former.
                      Sorry, what I meant that I have never seen keyless 3-jaw with mystery ring that would grab and hold the 1/4" hex shank.

Comment

YES

Comment

I messed up it's a Dewalt, sorry bout that I had a Makita before this one.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfire View Post
                            YES
                            Post a goddammit picture of your chuck. YES?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAeiG_whk34 This one

Comment

Working...
                              X