Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastfire View Post
    I see.
    Sorry, but You are officially screwed. You need to get the bit out if you wish to disassemble or remove the chuck.

Comment

Kendell's post (#7) is your best bet. If you can get a thinwall tube with 1/4 inch ID you can use it as a shim. This requires opening the jaws all the way, then pushing the tube down so it slides between the bit and the ring that is hung up on the bit. Once the tube is in position you should be able to use a pair of vice grips to pull the bit out.

A brute force method would be to clamp the end of the bit in a bench vise, and then rapping the open end of the chuck with a hammer to knock it free.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I have a wide variety of keyless chucks, including Albrecht, Rohm, and Jacobs. I also have some that came with drills from Black and Decker, Rigid and a couple others. I just examined all of them.

None of them have a ring at the bottom that can catch on anything. I can't find any diagrams or part lists for the chuck in question, but I did find that you can get a replacement chuck for that model if you do destroy the original in the act of getting it off.

The makita web site has some very specific instructions for removing the chuck (once the screw is out) without bending the spindle. You might look for those instructions before proceeding.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I think I'll have to order another chuck, Thanks GUYS.
          Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Sorry, what I meant that I have never seen keyless 3-jaw with mystery ring that would grab and hold the 1/4" hex shank.
            Never said it was supposed to be there, If it was supposed to be I think FF would have been asking about fixing his magic ring bit holder

Regardless, debating the existence of rings in chucks, doesn't change the fact that there's a ring in the chuck holding the bit in Fast fire's drill.
            Last edited by kendall; 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Since we cannot see your chuck and can't see this mystery ring, absolutely no clue.

BUT, I assume this bit is one that has the recess for locking into a snap-in holder..... if so, the recessed area is tapered, and laying hold of the bit with some nasty ol pliers and pulling or levering it out sounds reasonable. Anything that it is snapped-into it should be able to snap back OUT of.

What is the worst thing that can happen? You damage the chuck, which however will be clear of obstructions and able to have the screw removed to replace it. But you are already looking at that, so.... MAYBE you get the git out, and can figure out what this mystery ring is. MAYBE the chuck will work after that and you will not need a new one.

The driver is no use to you now, except for driving screws.

We REALLY WANT a picture of this mystery ring. Gotta phone? take a pic and let us see.
              4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Since we cannot see your chuck and can't see this mystery ring, absolutely no clue.
                My thoughts as well.

Comment

Just for fun I stopped by the tool section while I was at Lowes a few minutes ago. Every one of the keyless chucks seem to have the same basic construction. No rings, only thing visible was just tapered slots for the jaws and a screw in the middle to hold it on.

The only odd chuck I have that is close is this neat drill-driver with a chuck that comes off with a squeeze. It lets you leave a drill in the keyless chuck and a bit in the inner chuck.

Last edited by danlb; 03-26-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfire View Post
                    I think I'll have to order another chuck, Thanks GUYS.
                    Under warranty?
                    Covered or not, unless you live in the sticks, might want to take it to a Dewalt service center. Might turn out cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X