• Time
  • Show
Clear All

J Harp---Come on up and bring your files with you.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by J Harp View Post
      Thanks A. K. Boomer,

I Googled a bit and found this, looks like an interesting book.

https://books.google.com/books?id=be...ulleys&f=false

yes were stating the same thing although them showing it in a picture is easily explained,

the outer parameter leads,

my statement of the spokes being loaded to "expand" is kinda tricky and confusing - i meant that they will try to expand the outer ring under load - they are actually being compressed themselves to do so...

This is a picture of a Mt. front disc - note the arrow for rotation, sometimes while stopping on pavement the front is capable of being over 99% of your stopping power, it's VERY critical to have the spoke direction going the correct way or you can collapse and disintegrate a front disc and then your really screwed...

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
        Has anybody used this type of con-rod connection at the crankshaft? I'm pressed for room where my rod attaches to the one piece crankshaft, and this would get me out of trouble. I think the actual hole for the rod journal would be the last step in the fabricating operation so everything would run true. I haven't used this before, but there's a first time for everything.--Brian
        That is a fairly standard old method of holding the brasses in place. Instead of the screws, a good deal of full size work used tapered keys through the strap and connecting rod, so it could be drawn up pretty tight and kept hat way as the brasses wore. The portion you shaow as a curved piece was strap iron bent around to hold the brasses, which would have a bit of a flange on them so as to stay put. Brasses might be rounded or rectangular.

Personally, I think it is a fine idea, and see no reason not to do it, so long as you can keep it tight.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ine,_1875).jpg

http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...s/illus058.png

Complete with flanged brass, although brass is not split for wear adjustment.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-oGBfr8eA
        Last edited by J Tiers; 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Thank you J Tiers. ---Brian
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

I just got a price to waterjet cut 2 curved spoke flywheels.---$69.50 each. So----I called the guy up and whined at him. The price dropped to $49.50 each. That's 2 1/2 hours setting at my computer designing something for a customer. If I tried to machine them myself I might be 80 years old before I got them finished. I said "Go ahead and make them!!" This should be very interesting.
            Brian- I have the same type of business that I run at home too, accept I build most everything I design. I don't know your demographics, but it's time to raise your rate!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
              Brian- I have the same type of business that I run at home too, accept I build most everything I design. I don't know your demographics, but it's time to raise your rate!!!
              Seems appropriate.... Not always easy to do...... 3D design at $40 per hour is not too far out of line. Does not match up with the billing rate at the office though ..... ANY engineering etc is usually billed out at over $100.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Sid--It's more a matter of how large is the customer base, what will the market bear, and how much are you willing to travel. I could sell myself for $60 an hour easy in Toronto---If I wanted to travel to Toronto. I haven't raised my rates in 18 years. I don't travel, (at least very little now.) I don't work "on site" except one place right here in Barrie, and that is more because I have to get out of the house to keep from going bonkers. I'm 70 years old, I don't have to work at all, but I do because I like it.
                Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-15-2017, 06:47 PM.
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Don't ask!! This is about one of those "Having your cake and eating it too" things.
                  Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Sid--It's more a matter of how large is the customer base, what will the market bear, and how much are you willing to travel. I could sell myself for $60 an hour easy in Toronto---If I wanted to travel to Toronto. I haven't raised my rates in 18 years. I don't travel, (at least very little now.) I don't work "on site" except one place right here in Barrie, and that is more because I have to get out of the house to keep from going bonkers. I'm 70 years old, I don't have to work at all, but I do because I like it.
                    Man, in Toronto $60? That's giving your work away!

Regardless if you need to work or not.

Oh well, back to the build......

Sid

Comment

• Brian, I have the files, but unfortunately I'm not very good at using them.

I guess I'll have to wimp out and say that looks a lot like work, but I do like the curved spokes.

My comment wasn't meant as negative criticism, if I can't say something positive, or at least neutral, I just don't post.

Your ability to form an idea, draw it up, whittle it out, and make it work, makes you the fastest engine builder going these days. At least that's my opinion.

Jim

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                      Jim

Comment

• J Harp---I didn't take offence. I have never had a flywheel made this way before. I really don't know quite what to expect. I know I will set them up in my lathe and turn the outside diameter, and I will probably turn an inset in both sides, which will leave a razor sharp edge that I will at least have to de-burr. I'm not that great with a file when it comes to getting uniform results on a number of identical openings. The waterjet cut pieces will not have a center hole when I get them, so I will have to find a way to set things up concentrically. I think that before I do any work in the lathe I am probably going to have to weld a hub to at least one side to give sufficient length thru the bore. This is a whole new experience for me, and I'm kind of excited about it. I appreciate that you stopped by, had a look, and gave an opinion.---Brian
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          Don't ask!! This is about one of those "Having your cake and eating it too" things.
                          Lol I get that... it actually looks cooler - if you don't stop to think about it lol

good work Bri and thanks for letting us all chime in and feel like were a little part of it.

and if someone questions it in person just tell them you wanted some flexibility with being able to "add weight"
                          Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-15-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, those are tuning holes for brass or aluminum or tungsten inserts....

Comment

• Actually, those extra holes are to vent cool air to the rod journal to keep it from overheating--------
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                                Actually, those extra holes are to vent cool air to the rod journal to keep it from overheating--------
                                Brilliant ! devils in the details lol and here I thought they were just a place to store snacks

Comment

Working...
                                X