"OT" Rebuild or Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "OT" Rebuild or Replace

I wanted to get an opinion on something that I'm trying to get started with. I've asked around locally with mixed reviews. The nay sayers aren't really against me, just don't know if it is doable.

So here is the question, you have a piece of equipment that you make a living with. And at 1300 hrs, the engine is in bad shape (oil consuption, smoking or worst case scenario, rod ejected itself from engine at mach 1, now you have a hole in your block). The average service life is 1600 hrs.

You have several options listed from low to high referring to cost.

Purchase a used engine for 250.00
    Doesn't smoke, decent compression, 500 hrs, no service record

Have your existing engine rebuilt for 500.00 Doesn't apply to worst case scenario because it is unfixable at this point (hone cylinders, new rings, lap valves) No precision measuring tools, just judging parts by sight and feel. No definitive warranty given

Have your engine rebuilt 900-1300.00 Price includes repairing worst case scenario(engine blueprinted to factory specs) 1 year unlimited hr warranty residential/commercial on workmanship

Replace engine with factory replacement for 2000.00-2500.00
    2 to 3 year parts/labor warranty residential use, 1 year commercial

Which option would you go with? Any details not listed above that would move you one way or another I can provide on request.

It's your business so have it rebuilt correctly. There is no "eye" better than a decent set of measuring tools with a professional (assuming hasn't ejected rod) or if time is more important purchase the used engine and get on with whatever it's used for to make you money. Spend money saved on a bunch of good tooling!
    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Im guessing its a diesel? JR

Edit: I like the idea of fixing it to what you can afford, that list looks pretty acurate in my opinion.

So then Besides that I like an engine block that has seen some hours as long as it hasent been ruined or rebuilt already. First rebuild blocks happen to be my favorite over the new engine... JR
      Last edited by JRouche; 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Well, if its an easy swap, I'd start with the used engine for $250. If you'll have twice that in labor doing the swap then I'd do the 9-13 overhaul.
        Even better, put the $250 engine in and keep making money while you're overhauling the old one.
        Southwest Utah

Comment

Outdoor power equipment air-cooled v twin engine found on commercial mowers 23-30hp

Comment

Oh!!! Chit, I thought you were talking about a BIG engine. I have a power washer with a 25hp Honda motor. Great engines. That size would be an easy build. It would be fun also... JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Air cooled v twin 23-30hp found on commercial mowers

What is a 9-13 rebuild?

Comment

Seeing it's mowing season slap in the used motor and get mowing. Rebuild your own motor at your leisure, correctly. Maybe at some point swap them over and sell the old one for $300.

Comment

How much does it cost you to have that machine down- sometimes you just need it back up and running in the shortest period of time. Which option would be the quickest for you?

The other part of my answer/question is which option takes the least of your time- it seems to me that the used engine would be quickest, the rebuilt would probably take the longest, and the factory replacement would probably take a while too unless you can walk into a supplier and walk out with the engine, ready to install.

There is no guarantee that the factory engine is going to be trouble-free, even though it comes with a warranty. If the used engine is in running order, why is it for sale? If there's a good reason not related to reliability, I'd probably take that option.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Parts can be in hand next day for an additional 75.00, engine up and running in 3 day

Comment

I guess you don't have much work on then!

You haven't stripped it down so you have no idea if the bore or piston is worn beyond reasonable limits, or whether the valve guides are slogged out.. etc. Slapping in rings and a de-glazed bore is not a guarantee for success. What if it becomes 6 days?

If it's essential for you business, put your business first.
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 04-07-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

If I were running the landscaping business, I'd be likely to go for the used engine first. That's assuming that it's not my only machine.

Buying a rebuilt (not on your list) with my old one for exchange would be second choice. Assuming a 1 or 2 day turnaround.

Having mine rebuilt properly would be third. It's not first choice because the machine might be out of service for a longer period of time.

By my calculations, 1600 hours service life is just about a year. That must be a rough environment. I'd shy away from offering an unlimited hour warranty if I were you. 8 hours of run time 6 days a week is 2500 hours in a year. My sister in law ran her crews 10 hours a day 6 days a week when business was good.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

It's a crap shoot either way.

JL....................

Comment

Harbor Freight V-twin if horizontal shaft. I wouldn't pay $900-1300 for a rebuild as unless it is oddball, new engines run $1100-2200 not counting the harbor freight engine which is in the $700 ballpark.
                            Last edited by Boostinjdm; 04-07-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Do the used engine right away.

Evaluate the existing engine while making money with the used engine. If do-able, have it rebuilt. Otherwise you know what to do.... get another engine, preferably used similar to the one you would then be using.

Verify your "new"engine works OK.

You then have a choice.... I;d consider swapping the rebuild in again, and setting the now-proven used engine aside as a spare. If you have the rebuild as a spare, it won't be well proven, so it might crap on you just when you need it.

Keep one as a spare in any case, if you have just one machine, you need drop-in spares if you can have them. Down time is your enemy, you lose income, AND your customers try someone else while you are unable to do the work.

With spares available, you may have an uncomfortable night swapping, but you can get going next day.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X