Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay steal, Leblond lathe in Nashville Tn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay steal, Leblond lathe in Nashville Tn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...831828410&rd=1

Glad they at least covered the ways prior to the paint rebuild. A machinery dealer that to his knowledge is in good shape. Says that they didn't do anything to it except paint.

Joe

Comment

Except for the paint, that one looks exactly like mine. Mine's more the color of that tailstock. ...wonder why he didn't paint it.
      I would not have painted the handwheels and handles tho. In fact I wouldn't have painted it anyway.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Mine does not have the speed control on top. That looks like the ones they auctioned off at TVA.

ALSO, notice the taper follower on the back..
        I don't have that either.. Tool envy..

David

Comment

This is pretty much the lathe I just bought...although I believe my bed length is longer (36"). I also dont have the speed control or the taper attachment. Want the taper attachment though....probably build one within a year.

Need to buy that lathe just to steal the changing gears out of it! I'm missin some teeth on one of em.

-Jacob

Comment

"We are a machinery rebuild shop and take pride in our work"

I can see that, excellent rebuild job.

Options: Tailstock, nice paint, etc.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Chris

Comment

I'm confused by the "steal" comment, since it has a reserve, which means we have no earthly idea what the (minimum) price actually is. For all we know he's holding out for a million bucks...

which is why I despise reserve auctions...you have no idea if the seller is realistic or a nut case, so you have little inspiration to investigate and ponder the matter further.

Comment

"All I can say is WOW!!!!" Yeah, I'll have to agree w/you Chris. I don't think that lathe's "rebuild" job is gonna draw in a lotta business for them. But looking at the other items on their web page, I got the impression that they probably deal mainly in newer, more up-to-date equip. and probably just don't want to invest a lot in that lathe. Shame. I'm just a hobbiest of course but I think it's a damn fine machine.

That unpainted, brass thingy w/knob in center (shown in right hand pict.) doesn't control any speed. It's just a handy little calculator to convert work piece dia. to lathe rpm for various materials. But frankly I'd trade it for more flat surface area, which is always at a premium ...around my house at least.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-05-2004).]
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

D.:

I was searching out the .01 to 1.00 auctions. I really didn't notice the reserve price. My Leblond sold twice on ebay, never paid for, I got it for $700. I am still chuckling. I bought it and picked it up in a Hertz truck.

Has anyone wrote him and asked him the reserve? If anyone is really interested I can call them local on my cell.

David

Comment

I spent Fri - Sun in Gallatin Tenn about 25 miles from Nashville and didn"t even know about it. That's my luck.

Comment

If they rebuild like they paint, I would avoid purchasing from them. Oops, forgot the tailstock thingie, too lazy/tired to paint front of bed behind lead screw.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Something that's painted all over like that, handwheels, levers, compound etc will look like ****e 2 days after it's first used.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I kinda adgree with John:

Put your hands on them wheels and the paint comes off. Painted by a kid or the wheels are rusty. Both are bargaining points that will get the machine cheaper.

I figured it would go for less than $500. Not so sure now. I found it while looking at .01 auctions.

David

Comment

Based on John's prediction, It looks to me like it must have been used about 2 or 3 days before the picture was taken.
                            I think the patina of age and the gouges and scratches look lots better than a halfassed paint job like that. But I like the "mature" look anyway.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Used dealer in Rocky Mount, NC who used to have an old black man who painted all their engine lathes *outside*

Was by there one day and he was painting a lathe, not only outside, but it was quite windy that day with sand blowing all over the place...just kept right on slathering the gray goop...

Comment

Working...
                              X