The saw project is almost done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saw project is almost done

Here's all the pieces assembled. The cradle to hold the saw isn't quite done yet.

The jacking screws and slotted holes might be necessary if they get a saw with a different table height.

The slide-out extension is really easy to operate with the roller on the end. It will be used mostly when cutting flimsy stuff, but it's built with two pieces of 2x2x3/16" to take a decent load just in case. There's a stop bolt on the back side to keep it from sliding too far out accidentally, but it can be removed if necessary.

I still need to add some braces to the cradle and some short pieces of angle to keep the saw in place on the platform. I'm also going to put a couple hinged stops along the fence for cutting commonly used lengths.
    Last edited by winchman; 04-12-2017, 02:05 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Did you consider adding a "foot" to that extension, so if it does get some weight, it is supported by the floor instead of just swaying in the wind?

Comment

Nice work. I have no idea how you get so much done with so little floor space

Comment

Huge project looks good, built like a tank and should last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
          Did you consider adding a "foot" to that extension, so if it does get some weight, it is supported by the floor instead of just swaying in the wind?
          That looks great,very similar to my setup I put rollers on my extensions the only time I have supported the end when cutting real heavy stuff,only twice so far with 12" I beam and 8"X1/2" wall sqaure tubing.

Comment

I asked about having a support under the extension, and they assured me they would only use it for flimsy light stuff that tends to droop off the end of the beam. They also said the surface under the extension was rather uneven, and they didn't want to have to adjust the support whenever they moved it in or out. So I made the extension a little beefier so it won't need a support. We'll see how it works out. It won't be that hard to make a new one if it gets messed up.

Here's one of the two fixed stops, which are located five and ten feet from the saw. The little bar at the left end of the hinge tube controls the position of the stop and keeps the bent part of the rod from binding in the tube.

Here's the adjustable stop, which can be positioned anywhere along the table.

And here's the saw support with the clips to keep it in the right place.

Last edited by winchman; 04-12-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Better be careful setting more than some 1x1 square tube on that flimsy little beam
              That is one heck of a cutting stand....very nice work as always!

Comment

What's being cut it's a very heavy stand and the stops look light in comparison

Comment

Gee someone forgot to ask the elephant in the room what do you have invested in this project to date?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                    Nice work. I have no idea how you get so much done with so little floor space
                    -Yeah, geez, it's like trying to work in a broom closet in there. Have you considered building an add-on?

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

They picked it up a couple weeks ago, got it set up in their warehouse, painted it, and it's already been used a bit.

I wish now they had asked me to shorten the two stands that stick out so far closest to the saw. They'll probably end up doing that themselves.

I never keep track of how much time I spend on projects at the school. I just keep working till they're done. It's my hobby, it doesn't cost me anything to speak of, and I sleep well at night.

To tell the truth, I'd give up half the floor space to have a floor that isn't sloped 1/4" per foot. Of course it was dictated by the same idiot engineer that designed these downspouts for the roof, and no one at the school was allowed to make changes to the construction contract.

Comment

Is that a cold saw in there?
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's an Evolution EVOSAW380 Raptor 15" TCT Steel Cutting Saw

Comment

Working...
                          X