No announcement yet.

Scroll roller, anything else I should consider before pulling trigger on a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again for the follower die shaft, would a cam lock be a bad idea? I know they can hold a great deal but would it be able to hold if a guy were bending say 1/2" square bar or even thicker? I found a couple bearings for the follower "die" last night and turned up a stub to fit threw them to be welded to the shaft. The OD of the bearings is around 2" and the ID is .788", should be beefy enough.
    Andy

Comment

Ok I think I will have some time either today or tomorrow to work on this tool some more and it needs to get done enough to use within a week because that sign hanger scroll job is coming up.

After thinking it over for a good long time and debating all the options I think I will go with that goofy screw setup for the follower die. However I have some acme thread left over from rebuilding machines which will take much less turning than what is shown in the video.

The last two things are the scroll die and the base. The scroll die "should" be easy. All I should need to do is find a pic of a nice scroll, load into the plasma table, and cut it out, then drill and pin it to the bender table. Sounds easy right? lol

The base again shouldn't be all that hard, but again I want to make sure it is right so I have to put some thought into it. I can just put a flat base on it to be bolted down to something. Or I could put a flat tang type base on it so when I need to use it I can easily clamp it in the bench vise. Or I could put a square tube on the bottom and set up the "receiver hitch" style deal on a bench or something. Or something else that works good? I don't want to bolt anything down to the floor in the shop, everything I have is on wheels. I do have the "bender bench" I made up awhile ago which holds all my different benders. I could set up the receiver on this bench or make the flat base on the scroll bender and find a place to bolt it down to this bench. So many decisions on such simple tool.

Not a great pic but "bender bench" in use. The HF brake is junk and I plan to replace it some day but it still bends metal when you use a few C-clamps on it. The issue I see with putting the scroll bender on this bench is clearance when going round and round with the follower die handle deal.

Andy

Comment

I trapped the bearing is weld so it better hold up!

I had some acme rod left over from machine builds so I used it. I also had a brass nut left over from a rebuild and since brass doesn't weld to steel very well I trapped the nut as well.

I made the handle out of a stainless carriage bolt.

Andy

Comment

I found a file on plasmaspider for a scroll die however it was for much much thinner material and only had the inner two dies. I had to rework the two dies to accommodate at least .5" material and make up the third die. Cut from 1" material.

Came out pretty darn nice!

So there it is for now. I have to drill all the dies, the center for bolts, and the outer ones for pins. I also need to drill and tap the center one for a "setscrew" that I will use as adjustment for different thickness material. If you can see I have the inner radius starting right in the pocket where the scroll starts. I am hopping with the set screw adjusted near tight the start of the scroll will have very minimal flat area, maybe nearly none.

Andy

Comment

Awesome work. I REALLY want a CNC plasma table.

Comment

Thanks! I really like the plasma table! Anything that isn't just a simple strait cut gets cut on the plasma table.

The round table for the scroll bender was cut on the table too.

Took all of maybe 3 minutes to cut the scroll dies once they were drawn up.
              Andy

Comment

Today I drilled holes and turned up pins.

I first drilled the holes for the center die and tapped the holes in the table for the bolts. Then lining up piece by piece I drilled the holes for the other two dies, turned up some pins for a nice fit, and welded them in.

At that point I was ready to bend something to try it out. Only thing I had around that wasn't an angle, tube, or to big was this 3/8" round rod.

Unfortunately I forgot to account for spring back in material when designing the dies. So what I figured the scroll would be turns out bigger and not as perfectly proportional. The set screw helps reducing the flat at the end but it is still there. I am anxious to try it out with some flat bar.

Andy

Comment

I feel the scroll gets to big on the outside?

Even though I am not quite done with it I did something I have never done to any of the tools I have ever built. I painted it. You also get to see the bottom side for the first time here. You can see the bearing I used which is a wheel bearing for a car which I had new sitting on the shelf forever. I still need to add a handle/extension possibly (not decided on this one yet) and make up some sort of base which I am also undecided about.

Andy

Comment

Daymn you do fine work there. Quite impressive.
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Indeed, that is a seriously fine piece o'work.

For those who do not endeavour such a thing, I might share that there is another trick for those who need a bunch of scrolls done:

1) Make the scroll you need by hand, of sturdy flat bar. Make it by hand, by eye, with tongs, hammers, vise... whatever. Make it just like you want it, maybe a tad on the small side even.

2) Weld it to a base, or directly to the table. Now it is a form tool.

3) Add a stop pin, to pinch the end when you bend the actual job around the form tool....

4) ...by hand. Smaller flat bar scrolls, like 1 1/4 x 3/16 or so, can be bent by hand around the form tool with little effort. Add some muscle and some energy, and you can bang out a pile of those before lunchtime.

Maybe you want another, smaller pre-scroll tool for the innermost bend, or for longer scrolls... its up to you.

Another very handy tool for this is a sturdy bar, with two strong round pins protruding from it, maybe 1/2" apart. This is what I call a tuning fork; a tool for fine-tuning or tweaking the bend a little here or there. Invaluable tool really. Mount it in the bench vise or tack weld to the table, then tweak the scrolls where as needed.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I am excited to get some flat stock and do some more practicing and testing. I had the thought last night to increase the inside radius into the first die so like mentioned I can hammer out the start of the scroll to get rid of that flat more.
                        Andy

Comment

First job paying for itself.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                          X