Magnetic "oiltite" bearing in milwaukee multitool failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic "oiltite" bearing in milwaukee multitool failed

Just 1 month out of warranty failed to chooch. c12mt multitool stopped with the obvious sound of an axle going around in an oversized hole. Self adjusting bronze colour bearing.
    About 20 hours of running time in 3 years. 12 volt johnson motor had enough. Garbage.
    Put a new bronze bearing in and is fine.
    Btw, the diecast housing has got an extra hole in it for production purpose through which the motor suck in debris through the crack between the outer housing.
    The inside of the tool is now filled with a mixture of grease and whatever i have cut in those few hours.
    A piece of tape would have solved that.
    A new motor would have cost 20 eurinals but i need it now.
    Going to put it together again.
    Ave, the tool that is going to die will greet you.

Originally posted by interiorpainter View Post
    A new motor would have cost 20 eurinals but i need it now.
    You misspelled urinals.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
      You misspelled urinals.
      No he didn't. It was a derrogatory term for Euros. I thougt it was pretty funny.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
        I thougt it was pretty funny.
        And in the long term probably accurate
        If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Update: noworky
          It lastet one job ending with a wallowed out bearing. I hate it when they use some special material to make a flawed design work.

The tape trick worked. Clean on opening.
          Axel of motor scored.
          Now put a bearing in made out of mild steel. We know how that will end. Not how fast.
          After that i will take johnson out and put in a real chineese motor from a leftover.
          Garbage.
          Last edited by interiorpainter; 05-09-2017, 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling, what else?

Comment

How much did the tool cost ? I have heard that consumer tools are designed with a 20 hr lifespan expectation.. Seems these days a lit of the big names, now carry a budget line of tools as well as tge higher priced stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
              How much did the tool cost ? I have heard that consumer tools are designed with a 20 hr lifespan expectation.. Seems these days a lit of the big names, now carry a budget line of tools as well as tge higher priced stuff.
              Majority of reviews on Amazon (125 total) for the Milwaukee 12v Multi-tool are favorable, 4 stars or better.
              Maybe it's operator error.

Comment

Originally posted by interiorpainter View Post
                Update: noworky
                It lastet one job ending with a wallowed out bearing. I hate it when they use some special material to make a flawed design work.

The tape trick worked. Clean on opening.
                Axel of motor scored.
                Now put a bearing in made out of mild steel. We know how that will end. Not how fast.
                After that i will take johnson out and put in a real chineese motor from a leftover.
                Garbage.
                Sounds like you describe a PM bearing - Powdered Metal, poured into a mold, compressed and heated to sinter the particles together, then oil impregnated like an Oilite bushing. The shaft is possibly/probably stainless (non-magnetic?). As you say, special materials - chosen for predictable (just enough) wear life. Replacement bronze bearing might have lasted longer if the shaft had been polished... Is there room to extend the new bearing above and/or below the buggered area on the shaft?
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The bushing you describe sounds like so-called "Super Oilite". It's a ferrous based, sintered, oil impregnated material. It actually has specs superior to bronze based Oilite in most categories except speed. There are ASTM standards for it, but of course, that doesn't mean the bearing that failed was necessarily made to those standards.

Ed
                  For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I really hate planned obsolescence but it's a fact of life anymore. But if I find I have a tool with a built in 20 hour lifespan I'll never buy from the company again.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                      Majority of reviews on Amazon (125 total) for the Milwaukee 12v Multi-tool are favorable, 4 stars or better.
                      Maybe it's operator error.
                      Or maybe it's pwople loving their new tool till the 20 hours is up.
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                        Or maybe it's people loving their new tool till the 20 hours is up.
                        Kinda doubt it, know people who sell electric power tools for a living, not Horrible Freight, not Crapsman, not Ryobi, but Millwaukee, Dewalt, Metabo, etc., etc. When there's a problem, they hear about it from their customers. I know two Millwaukee (TTI) distributors, no complaints that they had heard of either.

Had Interiorpainter taken the tool to a Milwaukee rep. and explained his problem, he or she may have exchanged the tool for a new one, out of warranty or not.
                        Last edited by reggie_obe; 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I do not give my tools a hard time but do not spare them either. I use them to earn a living and have to pay for them myself. Otherwise-Fein. 250 euro i can not spend privately.

Fact: the selfmade bearing bronze plain bearing without grease lasted about 15 minutes cutting wood rot. Same failure mode with smoke.
                          Enough dust in the motor to make me cough on opening.
                          Other than the electronics of powertools, i did not break any of my other tools of the big brands in 20 years. Knock on wood. Worn yes.

Like mentioned it must be some special material. Pity i can not buy that 5 cent part seperately.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            Kinda doubt it, know people who sell electric power tools for a living, not Horrible Freight, not Crapsman, not Ryobi, but Millwaukee, Dewalt, Metabo, etc., etc. When there's a problem, they hear about it from their customers. I know two Millwaukee (TTI) distributors, no complaints that they had heard of either.

Had Interiorpainter taken the tool to a Milwaukee rep. and explained his problem, he or she may have exchanged the tool for a new one, out of warranty or not.
                            I agree but most high quality tools make a second line they sell on Amazon, Sams club, etc. I sold pro line tools for years running a lumber yard & started getting price complaints on 4 tool Makita 18v cordless sets, so I went to Sams club & couldn't tell the difference until I looked at the specs, amps, etc & it was a totally different tool set. John Deere did the same with Big Box stores, 1st year they were called Saber, next year it was John Deere. Try being a John Deere dealer when JD screws you by selling rebadged MTDs.
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Bought through an internetshop cheap. Sooner or later you pay the price.
                              Still going to have my way with this thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X