Insert Identification for a Valenite Tool Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insert Identification for a Valenite Tool Holder

I picked up a Valenite LTGR-86 tool holder but am having trouble finding the correct triangle insert. It appears Valenite has changed their numbering system and nothing with that number came up on their site. Assuming I was in the correct place. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks.
    Would post picture, but I will have to learn how first URL means little to me, right now.

Diamond, triangle, square, gooving ..what shape ?.
    Can you figure out the IC of the insert ?

Comment

I think that tool holder takes a triangular shaped insert with a hole in the center. TNMG style ??
      That sounds like an older number, and yes Valenite has changed their numbering a bit. Also the company is now Walter Valenite.
      Best thing to do is call the tech support people.

JL....................

Comment

Originally posted by Hit&MissTom View Post
        I picked up a Valenite LTGR-86 tool holder but am having trouble finding the correct triangle insert. It appears Valenite has changed their numbering system and nothing with that number came up on their site. Assuming I was in the correct place. Any leads would be appreciated, thanks.
        Would post picture, but I will have to learn how first URL means little to me, right now.
        If you are sure that the insert is a triangle, then it's easy to find the right one. Refer to this chart as an addendum to this post. http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

The name of the insert describes the insert's attributes. Example:
        T N M G 4 3 2
        Shape Clearance Angle Tolerance Groove / Hole Size (IC) Thickness Radius
        Triangle No clearance .002 - .005 cylindrical hole 2 sides .5 inch 3/16 1/32th

Generally there are a couple of ways to hold the insert. A clamp or a central screw. If central screw it might have a countersink or it might not. A tapered screw will match a countersink.

Generally, the tool will support the insert all the way up to the edge, so you have the outline of the BOTTOM of the insert already. If the sides are slanted (relief) then the top will be a little bigger than the bottom.

The size of the triangular insert is noted by the thickness and the largest circle that will fit within the triangle. The inscribed circle is measured in 8ths of an inch.

The thickness is measured in 16ths of an inch.

If you measure carefully, you will find the depth of the pocket and round to the nearest 1/16. Measure from the center of the pockets edge to the center of the screw hole and round up to the nearest 1/32.

Once you have the depth and thickness, add the desired clearance (11 degree is good for aluminum) and then translate it to an insert designation which is something like tpmt-322 using the web page.
        Last edited by danlb; 04-23-2017, 02:49 PM.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try!
          :-)

Comment

It is a triangle, but now trying to figure out how to post a picture. Photobucket is also new to me.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture, finally :-)

Comment

Nope, get a generic photo not found picture in your post...

Comment

Don't use the image tags. "[IMG]"
                  I'm guessing danlb nailed it with the TNMG 432...

Comment

Good catch Highpower.

In that picture, the triangle is a support for the insert ( it's called an "anvil"). It is not a cutter. The hex screw tightens the clamp down on the insert, trapping it against the post.

The height from the top of the post to the top of the anvil is the height of the insert.

A 1 inch shank is a pretty big insert holder. You must have a big lathe.
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Not a well supported pocket fir heavy cutting. IF its a 432.. A 1/2 round bar should run to the side, when centered to the pin. If it does not look right its a different IC.
                      How much do you need to mill off to use ut in your lathe.?

Comment

Working...
                      X