info on filing machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on filing machines

I have a full, floor standing filing machine, (as most of you probably know) however I understand this can be used for all sorts of things, hacksawing, slotting ,etc.
    Can anyone point me to anywhere there is a good book or preferably internet access to any writings about this type of machine I would like to know it's full potential.I have searched but to no real avail.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I think Alistair it's down to the imagination.
    Think what can be done with a file and transpose that to the machine.
    All the old books I have seen only touch on the subject of these machines.
    More a reference to say they exist and not a text on their use.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I tend to agree, I cannot find anything either but John my friend you never know there might be a good article somewhere on just this item Alistair

Comment

Sad to say but filing is a lore - knowledge never written but passed from one generation to the next.

Filing machines were an adjunct to the metla staming trade. All those punches and dies were filed to get clearance before hardening. I suggest you look in tool and die trade training books from the '20's and '30's when sheet metal stamping came into wide use. Maybe there's a cheaper here and there.

As John suggested in his post, the uses and applications of the 'humble filing machine are legion - more dependent on the imagination of the present user than shop dogma.

Comment

I wonder if all the projects that have been completed with the file were in one place..

It is a lost art, people don't like to sweat. The filing machine look neat. Kinda dangerous since your hands are so close to being pinched. The lathe mount shaper I have on paper has a filing attachment.

I heard: The old german machinist apprentice program they gave you a square block, you filed it into a ball bearing fo exacting dimensions. When you got done they took a ball bearing out of a device of some sort and put yours in. If it didn't make noise you passed.

Is this myth? or truth?

IS there anyway of converting the for/back stroke of a shaper to up/dn easily? I have drawed everything from a a-frame off a old car to using bearing blocks. My interest in my old shaper is to use a power hammer and a filer on it's huge heavy table.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 08-05-2004).]

Comment

Hello Alistair:What brand of filer do you have,I have some info. on Oliver of Adrian,this could be useful for other brands.Is yours a bench or a larger pedestal model. I was trying to remember your shop photo's;very well done and orderly as I remember.Hopefully I can relay any info. that might help.
            Dick Stack-Hillsdale Art Metal

Comment

Hi Chardy
              I have an Oliver of Adrian bench model. I would love to have any information you have if you don't mind. Either hard copy or e-mail, of course I would pay any expenses incured.
              Larry.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

IS there anyway of converting the for/back stroke of a shaper to up/dn easily? I have drawed everything from a a-frame off a old car to using bearing blocks. My interest in my old shaper is to use a power hammer and a filer on it's huge heavy table.

David
                </font>
                A proper attachment??

------------------
                John S.
                Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

heres my machine its an OPUS italian model full size,Alistair

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/09...%20renovation/

Comment

Oh! of course the "Green Machine" how could I have forgotten all the comments you received about the color of Green. It looks very sound and useful and I understand the need to get info. I will try to send all that I can.

Comment

To Larry what Model, do you have bench or pedistal.I can get info. from Adrian,manuals;parts lists and they have parts for bench models.I can send you address for Oliver. I have manual and parts list for pedistal mdl.they don't even have that anymore;to old a model.

Comment

NICE MACHINE ALISTAIR .....
                        but where is Miss Piggy
                        you cant have Kermit without her
                        All the best......mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 08-05-2004).]

Comment

That's not the only green around

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I'm green with envy :-)
                            (that should be Alistairs sig)
                            all the best.....mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 08-05-2004).]

Comment

I point out those are Alistair's machines.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X