Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small lathe question from a newbie.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

I own a Sherline mill and can attest to the little bugger's quality construction and accuracy. There is also a great variety of accesories for the mill and the lathe--Not to mention the wealth of information on the Sherline website. But I also own a larger mill and an 8 x 18 lathe. My point is: this lathe is small (3.5 inch swing). If this is to be your only lathe make sure you plan on working on small stuff only.

Comment

Dan,

Sherline and Taig are both good brands. They are small as lathes and mills go, but good just the same.

Bear in mind that equipment size will be influenced by the type of work you want to do. If you're talking general machine shop work, these may be too small. Can you be more specific as to what kind of work you foresee doing?

Tom

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-18-2003).]

Comment

Nothin' wrong with starting small. Even if you decide to get a larger lathe later, you'll probably still find uses for a smaller lathe.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Dan,

Something you may consider is a 7x12 from Grizzly or similar. It's a little bigger and heavier than a Taig or Sherline. http://www.mini-lathe.com does a good job of covering it. This page, http://www.lathes.co.uk, also has a very good section on buying advice. I have no affiliation with either site, I just like the content.

Some folks approach buying a lathe with a specific job in mind, hence my inquiry. Not implying at all that a micro-lathe is bad. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Tom

Comment

I would like to give credit where due. I just received a Taig mill with the 18" table and CNC upgrade. It is more than I had expected given the price. I have no basis for comparison with other "micro" mills but this has a work envelope 12" X 5+". I don't have a Taig lathe but if the quality of the mill is a valid indicator then the lathe must be a winner. As far as the 7x10 Grizzly I don't know. Everything I have purchased from Grizzly has made me marvel at what I got for the money.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X