No announcement yet.

OT: Grrr! Problems with Verizon FIOS email forwarding after migration to AOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been my experience that when any company says that they can not transfer your phone, they are the one you are leaving. The company you go to has no problems transferring your phone number for you.

The key is DO NOT CANCEL YOUR OLD SERVICE. Let the new service do it for you. They will ask for your Verizon account number and password, and they can then make the change on your behalf. Of course the side effect is that they cancel your old service. They will tell you 2 to 24 hours, but my experience is that it's done in minutes).

If you cancel your service the new company can no longer do it via the automated processes. Then you are at the mercy of the old company. The old company will often say something like "regulations require that the number is locked for 30 (60,90) days". That regulation only applies if you disconnect your service so you can come back to them.

There are some exceptions to the rules, of course. One is when you are using a prepaid phone with no contract. They tell you up front that your number is not guaranteed to follow you. As a "burner phone" there is no long term contract to secure the number.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

You do not want to cancel the service with the voice line you want to port. Once you release it its gone! The port request must be done from the new service provider and they will need to verify you are the owner (account number address etc) in order for the current company to release it. I have even ported a number from one account to another into another name. Its more difficult but doable with everyone involved.

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      I pay about $12/yesr for my domains, and web hosting is about $10/month. But how do you actually connect to the internet? Or the "cloud"? My TracFone has very limited internet access.
      Back to the mail issue. I have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) for my local ISP internet connection and Verizon for our cell phones. But I don't use any Spectrum/Verizon/Roadrunner email address even though they may have provisioned me one. My email is hosted directly by Namecheap and my devices access their servers directly (no account forwarding etc). I also have a gmail for the Android but its my backup account. The point I was trying to make is its your decision which email you use. One of main reasons I created the domain was to avoid losing an address if I moved ISPs or relocated across the country to someplace they don't service.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
        You do not want to cancel the service with the voice line you want to port. Once you release it its gone! The port request must be done from the new service provider and they will need to verify you are the owner (account number address etc) in order for the current company to release it. I have even ported a number from one account to another into another name. Its more difficult but doable with everyone involved.
        You have probably identified the problem. I suspect most folks DO cancel when they move. Thank you. That was the missing info from this discussion.

I will advise folks to do that if they ask me (some have, no clue why, I've never personally moved a number, we still have the same house phone # from 30+ years ago.. But we do have cells.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

When the Xfinity technician arrives Thursday I'll ask him/her to see if they can port the number while I still have Verizon service. I just finished a chat session with a Verizon rep and she offered a new bundle for about $165/mo. If not for the email forwarding issue, I might accept and not bother with Xfinity. The agent said I need to call 1-800-verizon for the tech support I need, but I really want to contact an upper level engineer, by email, to discuss reasons why email forwarding broke after the migration to AOL.
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
            The agent said I need to call 1-800-verizon for the tech support I need, but I really want to contact an upper level engineer, by email, to discuss reasons why email forwarding broke after the migration to AOL.
            It's been my experience that in a company of 10,000 employees, perhaps 10 will actually understand the email configuration and they typically do not talk to customers. I base that on 20 years of being the lead internal support for the mail infrastructure at Multiple fortune 500 companies.

So don't expect to get a senior help desk person who knows anything about their mail internals.

You have a situation where you have the mail configurations spread across 1and1, Verizon and AOL. Any one of them may be slightly misconfigured. Even worse, one may have more stringent standards about what mail they will accept and what they will relay. As an example, I don't get much email from this forum because their DNS is not properly set up for all the system that they use to relay email. If the DNS is screwed up MY mail system refuses to accept mail from them.

I know this does not help much other than to set your expectations appropriately.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

An update on the situation... Xfinity/Comcast were scheduled Thursday May 4, between 3 and 5. I was home, and using my electric string trimmer on my lawn, when a technician arrived around 4 PM. He looked at the present FIOS installation and determined that it would require a crew and possibly a bucket truck to run a new cable from the pole to the house. Apparently the people who took the order made some unfounded assumptions about having previous cable service. So he had to go home and I had to reschedule, for today May 12.

The appointment was for 10AM-12noon, and another guy showed up about 11:00. He also surveyed the situation and apparently once again it was assumed that a cable was already present. So he contacted the office and arranged for a bucket truck to come by around 1:30 PM. Around 1:00 there was an accident a little ways down the road, and the road was closed temporarily, so the tech was able to set up a ladder in the road and string the new cable across without danger from traffic. I asked him if he caused the accident to "git'er done". Anyway, with the cable strung, he removed the previous Verizon equipment and installed the Comcast/Infinity router, phone modem, and TV set box. There were a few glitches getting everything working, but eventually I was getting my emails, watching TV, and using the phone (although with a new number). The original <username>@verizon.net account worked for Comcast as well, so no need to reconfigure my account. Probably because email is now via AOL.

I spent some time setting up a new account (with help from Chat), where I was able to rename my router, change my user name, and generally get things set up. I was interested in getting the "Military" channel that I occasionally watched on Verizon, and an internet search determined that it was renamed "American Heroes Channel" AHC, #112, but it was not listed in my lineup. I used the Xfinity chat again, where I learned that it as not available on cable, but could be accessed via internet streaming. Then I also asked about porting my old number, and the tech said she could set that up, and it would be active within 24 hours. We shall see. But overall I am rather pleased and I'll be happy to be saving $70/month for the next two years.
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Of course, you'll probably have to pay an extra $210/month for the final year of the contract... :-(

Comment

Today when I tried to access the internet, a browser tab popped up with information on "activating my gateway". I followed the instructions, which reset the router and assigned a new network name and password (which it said were the existing ones), and I had to log in to the new network. Then I went back and changed them to what they were before, with some minor changes. Eventually those were applied and everything works again, but it was rather an annoying inconvenience that I really should not have had to go through. Hopefully all will remain stable for a while now.

I also got a voice message on my cell phone that seemed to be about porting my old Verizon number, but I couldn't understand what she was saying. Sounds like another hoop to jump through.
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Finally this debacle has ended! I got through to Xfinity chat once again (last week), and was told that he could help me port my number from Verizon. But first I had to click on a link for an agreement to port the number. So I did, and soon after, my original Xfinity number was "unassigned", although I still got a dial tone and could dial out. If I called my Verizon number, it still gave me my voicemail. I was told that it might take 48 hours to perhaps 4 days to complete the process.

Well, yesterday (Friday) it was at least 5 business days, and the porting had not happened. I contacted Chat once again, and the analyst asked me if the number I was porting was 406617889. I told him that was only 9 digits, and totally wrong. However, my number is actually 4106674889, so there is a missing '1' in the second position and instead it was in position 5. Then there was also a missing '4' before the final '889'. He said it was a typo - but that's hard to imagine, and there should have been an error flagged when they tried to use that. So, with the correct number, I had to fill out another agreement, and this time I found a second page where it said that my 2 year agreement was for $89.99/mo for the first 12 months, and then $112.99 for months 13-24. OK, not what I thought I was initially offered, but OK, still better than Verizon.

When I tried to call my Verizon number later that evening, it was reported as disconnected. OK, should be just temporary, right? Today I tried again, and still disconnected. Tried chat again, but got stuck in endless loop waiting for a "short time" that never ended until I started over again. This time I got through right away, and once I explained the issue, the analyst pressed a magic button and my phone rang and the porting process is now complete. I asked why it had taken so long and was told that it usually takes 48 hours but they can immediately update my account. Weird, but OK. I tried to print out my chat transcript, and another window popped up with another chat session, perhaps from my original attempt, but no dialog for printing.

At least now it's all working, but this process has taken almost three weeks and meanwhile I have been paying for both Verizon and Xfinity. I assume I'll be able to get back part of what I've paid to Verizon, which I can now safely terminate. Seems like quite a bit of incompetence has been observed in this process, and perhaps it could have been worse...
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

When I switched my phone number from StraightTalk to TotalWireless, it tookabout 10 seconds for my TotalWireless phone to become active.
                      North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                      X